1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old trout bans octopus.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jan 18, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An Oxford college president has demanded that octopus is removed from the menu as part of a drive to make disadvantaged students feel more “comfortable”.

Baroness Jan Royall, head of Somerville, said she wants to “change the culture” of the college to make sure it is “welcoming for all”.

The Labour peer told how after receiving a complaint from a first-year student about an octopus terrine dish, she instructed Somerville’s catering staff to replace it with a less adventurous alternative. Probably Pot Noodle or a jam butty.

I suspect that an octopus may well be more intelligent than she is (and the snowflake student who complained). Isn't attending a university to do with expanding the mind and developing character through new, novel, and challenging experiences?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Baroness Royal is 63. Is she actually an 'old trout'?o_O

[​IMG]

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

What has happened to freedom of choice? Grrrr!

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Using the definition of an old trout being an annoying old woman, yes. I find her annoying.

It has much to do with attitude and actions rather than the possession of Salmo trutta genes.

5. FrankWolley

Choosing not to have Octopus Terrine (something I've never seen on a menu, BTW, despite 4 years at Cambridge!) on the menu, is hardly an infringement of one's human rights! Nothing to stop students seeking it out and buying their own!

freckle06 likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

Definition: 'an annoying or bad-tempered old woman.' I think you'd find it pretty nigh impossible to justify that description...

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would have thought that disadvantaged students would be eager to expand their social skills. Why should eating ortolan be the preserve of the advantaged?

freckle06 likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was it just that octopus was on the menu or was it that this octopus dish required skill with particular cutlery to eat it?

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Disgusting... Universities should not be trying to expand minds or palates.

This isn't what they are for at all...

xmal and sabrinakat like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm pretty sure I'd have been considered a "disadvantaged" student in this scenario and I would have been very pleased to be offered the possibility of something as exotic as octopus to eat.

The most surprising thing is that a single picky eater changes things for everyone.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

'Baroness' of an Oxbridge college rejects serving of octopus as it may make disadvantage students 'uncomfortable'.

1. Studied at Oxford, studying at Cambridge now - never saw/have seen octopi on the menu.
    2. Does she tell the kids to call her 'Jan'?
    3. It's calamari, inn't?

I think I know who the snowflake is here....

phlogiston, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Octopus, schmoctopus: How many young people will have been offered a 'terrine' of anything?

[​IMG]

lanokia, bevdex, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I declare that this is "troutist", having studied the Salmo trutta species for my PhD, I would say that the aforementioned woman bears no resemblance whatsoever!

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tastes like rubber anyway.

les25paul likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Any hints for anglers?

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Get a proper hobby.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Having studied Cookery for many years and to the highest level, I have also never heard of Octopus Terrine.
    A terrine is quite a normal dish, usually involving meat and bears a resemblance to paté. Found a recipe, if anyone wants to try it!!

https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/octopus-terrine-20111018-29wav

18. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Invest in a good protractor

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Only if you overcook it.

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Did you do that as it tickled your fancy?