1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Old" terms?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Jan 3, 2011.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

What are these "old" terms that people keep talking about?

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

What are these "old" terms that people keep talking about?

3. Autumn term, spring term, summer term. Its when there were only three terms in a year - now there are six but people still refer to them as being an "old term", ie. two new terms.
    Man, i really need to go to bed, I'm making no sense!

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Arre there? Nobody told me! What's the point in saying there are six?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It makes the government feel like they've changed something.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

When did the govenment change the way in which they refer to terms? Which government?

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You'll be glad to hear sir that we are in total agreement. I think it might have happened in some parts of the country and people that is has happened to have just assumed we all know what they mean.

It is still three terms in my school. I would also like to know the benefit of the six term idea. If anyone can shed any light.

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Think
    it happened about 7 years ago. I was working in a different la to the one I am now and they did it too so I presumed it was a batuonal thing. No idea what the purpose was though. We still talk about half term holidays.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I have no
    idea what batuonal is. I typed national, at least I thought I had.

10. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

And mine. Do people really get paid to make decisions such as this? Renaming something without changing it in any other way?

11. Really? I hadn't realised it wasn't a national thing either, thought everyone had six terms now. Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference though!

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Quite possibly. Job satisfaction must be **** though.

13. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

None at all. Mind you, I still talk about "top infants" and "fourth year juniors", so what do I know? [​IMG]

14. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What do you call them? Is it just Autumn 1, Autumn 2, Spring 1 etc

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That's about the measure of it. Oldies like me (ie anyone 28+) still call them half terms though.

16. I still call the break half term too and I'm 26! ;-)

I tend to just name them terms 1-6, to be honest!

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

oldies rofl......dear oh dear....not yet dear!
    its something about evening up the terms into equel bits so that children dont forget to much in the large holidays betweens terms.........or as the spun it to us when they tried.........teacher would have a 2 week break every 4 or was it 5 weeks....but your summer holiday wouldnt change.
    No one ever believed them and parents still moan we have to long holidays!

18. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Still just about to start Spring Term here - the second of my three-term year.
    I am happy with the new Years 1 to 13 though - it got very confusing round here with middle schools going up to fourth year, but high schools starting in the second year. Nobody seemed to know quite what had happened to the first years!

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That was when we were going for 5 terms oldie. It never happened. The idea was that we wouldn't move the Easter holiday either. So if Easter was particularly late of early we'd have the bank holidays and then have the 2 weeks at another time. That didn't happen. So this yearvwe have an 8 week term, a two week and one day holiday and then a three week and 4 day term ( including sats week) and then an eight and a half week term. Great.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Curly girl Im glad your there for me.... to hold my hand! x