1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old school, new school visit - paid or unpaid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Trendy Art, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

I'm moving schools and the new school induction day doesn't coincide with my old school. I recently went to one day for a new school visit, but this wasn't with other new staff and it was paid leave because it was an INSET.

I have been told that if I take the new school induction day off, this would be unpaid leave. It seems that if new staff are coming to my old school - my old school is being invoiced. I don't want to alienate my new school, but equally I don't want to lose a day's salary if I can help it - when I am doing a working day.

So do I ask my old school to invoice my new school? Or do I take this as unpaid leave and have to accept it as such?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If it is important to your new school that you are there then they must be willing to pay!

Trendy Art likes this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes, ask then regretfully say that you are unable to come if you have to lose pay. The new school should reimburse the old school if they want you to attend.

Trendy Art likes this.
  4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You are contracted at your current school until August 31st (in most cases- unless your contract is different), therefore until that date you are employed by that school and they are not obliged to release you.
    It is right that if you do go to the new school that they invoice your old school as your current school will have to pay a supply teacher to cover your classes.

wanet likes this.
  5. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

We would expect any new staff employed from September to come to school on at least one day and, preferably more, but we expect to pay the old school for that time so they can arrange cover.