1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old nose piercing

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Bonnie23, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

When I was in University I got my nose pierced, never had any problems with it and it healed perfectly.

Three years after the piercing I started my teacher training, I was quite sad to take it out but I understand that appearance can make a big difference in teaching, especially in some schools. I did try for a few weeks to use a dummy type piercing that just disguised it as a piece of skin but it was too much of a pain for what it was worth.

LONG STORY SHORT. I took my nose piercing out but four years on it still hasn't healed right, it has healed in terms of the stud won't go back in but it keeps getting little spots under the skin which are really painful, almost feels like someone has pierced it again. The pus tends to gather under the piercing until I have no choice but to pop it out of pain, it's exactly where the piercing was and always is.

I don't know why it keeps happening, i keep the skin clean, I try to avoid make up on the area but at least once a month I get a painful spot where it used to be.

Anyone got any advice?

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I'm guessing you've been to your GP? You can get antibiotic cream, maybe that would help. How you get it to heal I'm not sure, there's obviously a track there.

3. Bonnie23

Honestly it's such a little annoying thing I think if I went to my GP for it I'd feel like I was wasting their time. I don't tend to go to the GP unless it's affecting my every day life and even then sometimes I resist. My own stubborness.

I might see if I can get an antibiotic cream over the counter if they do them?

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

We have a member of staff with a nose piercing. The tiny gold stud in it is hardly noticeable. She's had it for over ten years and no one's said anything.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that wounds that heal over at the skin's surface before the deeper tissue has healed are prone to infection and producing pus. As frangipani123 has said, you'll need to visit the doctor to get rid of the infection. Once the infection has cleared, if you'd rather keep the nose piercing that you were sad to let heal over, why not just go back to having a small stud (or whatever) in it?

5. Bonnie23

Thanks, I didn't think that the wound would be so deep that it would matter how it heals. I'll have a look in to that.

I wish I could have kept it but I think because I'm quite a young teacher as it is sometimes I find piercings etc undermining, although I'm not sure why because it's reinforcing stereotypes. I have quite a few ear piercings and I just don't want to over do it.