1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Old Money" Sums

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cros15h, Jun 23, 2012.

1. I'm looking for some money problems in pre-decimal money for Year 9 doing some work on number bases.

I've looked round the Internet and found some very complicated examples but I'd like something easier, maybe buying two items and find the change from half a crown.

I could make some up but I'd like to be able to tell the students that these were real questions. Google Books doesn't seem to have anything clear enough.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. I'm looking for some money problems in pre-decimal money for Year 9 doing some work on number bases.

I've looked round the Internet and found some very complicated examples but I'd like something easier, maybe buying two items and find the change from half a crown.

I could make some up but I'd like to be able to tell the students that these were real questions. Google Books doesn't seem to have anything clear enough.

Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Not got anything to hand but Im sure if you give it a week Michael Gove will have included it in the <strike>National Curriculum</strike> latest manifesto when he is bored with Roman Numerals.

4. Probably true!

5. I can't compete with someone so obviously, er, "radical" as Mr Gove either. However a very poor alternative might be to present a genuine old menu or something (e.g. http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Decimalisation-in-Britain/ ) and give them the scenario that 3 friends have half a crown each................

6. Love that menu - could do with that 'Ton Up' right now!

That's set me on a trail for looking for other pictures and basing some questions round them.

Thank you.

7. I put something together for the anniversary of the decimalisation of the pound which might be of use includes some questions from a 1940's textbook, some old exam questions and some historical context...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3rwdz7cgx03t9p/Old%20Money.docx

8. Thanks for all your replies. I'll definitely be trying some of these out.