1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old Modern Foreign Languages NOT MFL!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by hikochan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. The government and education experts still cannot see what is patently obvious: teaching French and German to children in our schools is outdated, a waste of resources and just plain silly. Experts on the TES website admit there are few French teaching jobs; German teaching jobs are even fewer. Nobody wants to learn German. These are old languages so stop calling them 'MFL' because they are not! The government has just done a deal this week with China so that we can sell our products there. So why is Chinese language not taught in ALL schools!? It is because there are no PGCE courses for Chinese and also because all the French, German and Spanish teachers with PGCEs would be made redundant! Someone once said that you cannot stop the future and China and Chinese language is the future. Wake up and see the future!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Why don't you go and teach in all these schools then? Start off with mine if you'd like, I'm sure I could arrange it - let's see how easy the kids take to your plan.
    If you go and speak to Gove, I'm sure he'll be the sort of person to agree with you!

3. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you just have a whole rant about this on another thread in here just very recently?!

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

button, my thoughts exactly. Il a probablement une abeille dans son petit chapeau...

5. What a load of rubbish! I use French and German at least twice a year when I am travelling in Europe. I have a smattering of Spanish and Italian too, which I use when I am on holiday in Spain and Italy. German is the most widely spoken first language in Europe and, after English, the most widely spoken second language. Most people are more likely to travel to France, Germany, Spain or Italy rather than China - for pleasure or for business.
    I followed a 40-hour course in spoken Chinese many years ago, but I have never used the language - and now I will never be able to travel to China due to a health problem that prevents me from taking long-haul flights. To get to a level where your Chinese is of practical use in business you need to have a degree in Chinese. Having said that, I would not put anyone off learning Chinese. It's a fascinating language - but very difficult!
    I studied Russian back in the early 1960s. At that time it was thought that Russian would be the language of the future. I have only used my knowledge Russian on one occasion, back in 1995 when I travelled to Minsk as a member of a Council of Europe delegation to contribute to a course for English teachers. And then I only used it in restaurants. The course was delivered 100% in English.
    Regards
    Graham Davies

6. Well if we take that to a logical conclusion, teaching anything is outdated then. Why timetables when any computers can do the maths faster than ever, spelling with spellcheck, writing when you can type, reading when you can listen to tapes, history which obviously teaches us nothing as we carry on with the same crassness generation after generation, Geography when we have GPS.
    Let's just close schools and go on holidays.