1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old MFL courses

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mpc

mpc

Otter,
    No way! No MFL at Bradford? What is the world coming to?
    José was my tutor too - quick of wit and a fantastic storyteller...
    All the best to your son - sure he'll love Oviedo - certainly my friends on placement there (all those years back) did.

2. mpc
    I know its terrible. Certainly when I was there in the 70s we thought we were the bees knees as far as MFL students were concerned. We pitied Oxbridge students ploughing their way through all that lit. We thought we were the future. Just goes to show. I find it hard to believe its my own son waxing lyrical about 19th century Spanish lit.
    I did my Spanish placement with the Opus at the universidad de Navarra in Pamplona. Where did you go?

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I can't believe no one has mentioned Mach Mit! yet - I clearly remember the chequered book cover - it was a hard back book. Don't see that nowadays. I think all the texts were centred around Sigrid and Wolfgang. The other thing I remember about early German lessons was zapping friends after rubbing my feet up and down on the nylon carpet.
    I can't remember which French book we used for the first 5 years. A Level French was the much mentioned Whitmarsh and I also have very fond memories of Russon for A Level German. A few years back, some pupils were complaining about a very short piece of translation they had been given, so I showed them a copy of Russon (I found a few gathering dust in the cupboard) and they decided they didn't have it so bad after all. Then I just had to take a copy of Russon home to reminisce. It got me where I am today!

4. aujourd'hui

5. just testing ??? *** hui

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What does the *** mean? Is it offensive?

7. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

8. mpc

mpc

Otter,
    Me too! El mundo, como dicen, es un pañuelo...
    mpc

9. foroff2233

foroff2233 New commenter

Why has nobody mentioned 'A la recherche du francais' (books 1-5)? Wonderful course, no stupid cartoons, just proper stories all the way. 1960s vintage. I was a goat in a Sec Mod!

10. I must say I am struggling with the idea that the word h u i needs to be starred out. As far as I can tell it's an ethnic Muslim group from China. D h u i as well is not clearly a pejorative term.

In any case why should this board be censored in this way - at times it is necessary to use a word that might be perceived as derogatory. Are they suggesting that we are likely to be using this board as a medium for slinging insults at each other??! We are professionals n'est-ce pas?

11. I asked the mods and now aujourd'hui should be fine!

12. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

If we told the pupils about aujourd'hui and the problems it has created, they might actually remember how to spell it !!

13. Haven't read through the whole list, so maybe I've missed it, but I can't see Hexagon mentioned. We used it for French and I've yet to meet another person who's ever heard of it...
    For German it was Deutsch Heute with the wonderful Franzi the pig - Ich bekomme kein Tascheneld - ich habe keine Taschen - still makes me smile :)
    I started secondary school in 1989 and started German in 1991.

14. I started in what is now Y6 with a series of leaflets called Bon Voyage. Years later as a teacher I discovered a set in a cupboard in my classroom when I started teaching. Unfortunately all lost now. I still remember a song about elephants swinging or something.

15. Now does this bring back memories ....It's just like being back at school ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Simpler-French-Course/dp/0582360935

16. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Couldn't resist having a look at the link - brings back real memories! [​IMG]

17. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I'be been blogging a bit on these courses at http://frenchteachernet.blogspot.com.
    I received in the post today from ebay a book called Grammar of the French Language with Practical Exercises by Nicholas Wanostrocht (1815).
    These old books are fascinating. In this case the practical exercises are, unsurpisingly, sentences to translate from English into French. It's not light years away from the Whitmarsh approach. It is grammar-translation in its purest form. All prose, no unseen translation, no comprehension exercises.
    I love the prefaces to these antique books.
    Having said that pupils should memorise their translations he continues: "by these means, the pupils, uniting practice to theory, not only become imperceptibly acquainted with the French phraseology... but immediately know what is the English word that corresponds to the French." (my italics)
    There seems to be an acknowledgement in this that there is a process of natural acquisition going on, as well as conscious learning. And I am sure that the writers of this time were not unaware that language can be acquired "naturally", but it just wasn't in the zeitgeist to propose the direct method as a means of teaching in school.
    Any more courses?

18. W had Longman A-V, I think, with film strips. (1971). Was it a long rather than squat book? Loved Whitmarsh and Jukes (no one has mentioned the Jukes bit). I loved my Spanish textbook, full of exerpts from English and Spanish literature which we had to translate. I don't think it was Ramsden, I disliked that one. It was pink and black, I'll try to find it. Zielpunkt Deutch for A level. (1978). We only did O level the year before in one year, so I always found it harder than Spanish which I did since the fourth year, 1976. Happy days - for French A level there were about 6 of us, 4 for English and 2 for Spanish and German. Lesley Butler - are you out there?? You were the other one!! Such priviledge.

19. They used Hexagone atmy first PCGE school, awful book. I don' t think Tricolore has been bettered.

20. In 1969 I changed schools after O levels because my original school did not offer A Level Spanish. I went to the girls' grammar school in Epsom, there were about 200 each in years 12 and 13. This is not a mine is bigger than yours situation but, in my year there were 80 doing A level French. We were setted for A level. There wer about 20 of us studying A Level Spanish. There were also half a dozen each for A level German, Italian and Russian.
    There were about 12 of us in the Latin O Level for those who gave it up but now found they need it class. I thought it was normal at the time, but since I have never met anyone who was in a setted A L French class.