1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old jam, eat or not eat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, Aug 15, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

We make jam in varying quantities every year. Dad gave me back one he found in the cupboard, saying he wont eat it, dated 2014. Unopened, we're pretty thorough about cleaning and sealing jars.
    I haven't opened yet, but should I eat or not? It appears ok from the outside looking in.

I tend to be in the looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok, probably ok, camp, but is there anything else I should consider?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

If it smells fine and tastes fine, I'd eat it. Maybe not all at once, but I'd eat it. ;-)

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If it were off, it would be mouldy. If it were too old to have retained quality, it would be rubbery. If neither, then you are a mighty fine jam-maker!

Hving said that, I think personally I'd be looking for ways to eat it cooked e.g. Bakewell tart, steamed jam sponge etc.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That's probably more sensible...

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

If it went in the jar red hot and was sealed, smells ok, has no mould, has not crystallised into a solid, or gone watery, then tastes ok you should have a yummy pot of jam. Get the scones out and the kettle on!

chelsea2 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Open it and throw it away if hairy or speckled.

Corvuscorax20 and coffeekid like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd eat it if it looked and smelled ok. I've eaten plenty of jam that old!

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Even if it has a bit of mould on it, that particular mould Is specific for eg. strawberry jam, you won’t find it on blackcurrant. Scoop it off and eat the jam. It won’t hurt you. (I remember this from an Attenborough programme decades ago). However, if it is gassy, smells funny or is trying to move away from the light when you open the cupboard I would discard it.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If it has mould on it - scrape off the mouldy bits and eat it.
    If it doesn't have any mould - eat it.

It might well not be at it's best, but it will be fine.

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Dig deep if removing mould prior to eating. You don't know how far down the mycotoxins have diffused.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A six year old jar of jam that you were not expecting to receive? If it is not made of some exotic fruit which is now protected or extinct, personally I would bin it and reuse the jar for this year's batch.

racroesus likes this.
  12. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

The aging process may have helped it develop the cure for coronavirus that scientist have been seeking. I'd see if they are interested in having a spoonful of it to test, then hiking the price up to a billion quid for the rest of the jar if it works.

Nanny Ogg, Ellakits and racroesus like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Isn't this why jams are also called 'preserves'?

If it wasn't mouldy I'd at least give it a try.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I don't like waste, so when the current jar is finished I'm going to brave it. I'm currently eating 2018s and it's great, that was a good plum year as most of those are "mostly plum", whereas 2019 were "mostly raspberry" and to date 2020 is "mostly greengage"

Haha, wouldn't that be good. Do you think I'd get a Nobel prize for accidently baking a cure?

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I’ve eaten ten year old jam found hidden at the back of my cupboard. Yum!

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When we moved into our house, we found some still airtight Kilner jars of homemade preserves in the little coal hole cellar. The pickles we gave a miss, as they resembled so many disgusting specimens in a pathological museum but the jars of strawberry and, I think, blackberry jam were in perfect condition, and the best I have ever tasted. I don't know how old they were as they were not labelled but the screw tops looked quite old fashioned.

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If it looks like jam,smells like jam eat it.
    Test it first on a young but hardy relative.

Nanny Ogg, Ellakits and mothorchid like this.
  18. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

As part of my de-cluttering, pre-moving programme, we're eating up lots of older jars of jam and I'm making very little this year. If your jam looks unhairy, tuck in.
    I was delighted yesterday when my two brothers visited and both took some away with them, one taking two jars of chutney and the other two lots of jam. Today I resume my assault on the bookcases. I am trying to persuade Mr Mothorchid that he could find five books to give away. So far he hasn't found one...

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  19. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The giving away of books is awful.:eek:

racroesus and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Not really, @ACOYEAR8 If I've read them twice, or more, and won't read them again, I think it's fine to pass them along to someone else who will read them. It's recycling, and so it's eco-friendly too. And it can raise a little cash for a charity.
    And it makes space for new ones.:D

Nanny Ogg and ACOYEAR8 like this.