1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old FL magazines and papers

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by amica, Jul 6, 2018.

1. amica

amica New commenter

Hi folks, bit of a weird query, I know, but am having a turn out of my loft and have come across a pile of old French and Italian women's and children's magazines bought when I was on holiday years ago (at least 10!). Can anyone think of a good use for them now, in a school or otherwise? I also have a few old-fashioned textbooks. If no academic use then I might cut up and use as an unusual material for a papercraft project!
    Can you tell I am a secret hoarder and it pains me to throw anything that may still have a residual use!

2. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

How many years are 'years ago'? ;) When I started teaching in this country about 30 years ago, textbooks seemed a lot more challenging for the students than those that ensued. I believe that over the years, MFL have suffered from an increasing need for spoon-feeding to make up for students' increasing inability to revise independently.
    With the new GCSE, I feel that those old textbooks are becoming more relevant again, as language-learning is turning away from rut-learning and back towards grammar-based activities and structures. If you are talking about the old Tricolore books for instance, then I would say keep them and use them as inspiration...
    As for your old magazines, I could imagine them being useful in some comparative KS5 projects and research, e.g. environment, fashion, energy etc. ...
    I hope this helps. :)

agathamorse likes this.