1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ok who's going on a 2011 diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Who's going on a 2011 diet?
    Me, me, me! I'll start on Tuesday when I go back to work. Hopefully all the naughty food will be gone by then. I struggle most in the evening, when I want to be good, but it is so much easier and more convenient to make something quick and naughty! When I'm tired after work I just don't have the enthusiam to make anything.
    Anyone got any quick and easy (and inexpensive) ideas for evening meals? I'm trying to avoid carbs as I've had lots of success with Slimming World red days in the past.

2. Jacket potatoes, spag bol, chilli, different homemade past sauce dishes, grilled chicken or pork with lots and lots of veg.

3. i'm going to start on tuesday to-its the evenings that are my weakness as are buscuits in the staff room.

4. I'll join you! I weigh much more than anyone has mentioned so far and started this morning on a vaguely Weighwatchers diet. I lost almost 6 stone with WW a few years ago and have put all but half a stone on so I KNOW I can do it! Have found it difficult since a hysterectomy in July - perhaps that is just an excuse??!!

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I'm in!!
    I weigh FAR more than you slim lot - 17st 2 lb. I'm tall so I can carry more than most, but I know this is not good.
    I hate diet groups, and my downfall is evening troughing. So, as from Tuesday (back to school) I'm off fast walking 4 times a week. All puddings, cakes, sweets etc out until Easter. I walk my dogs at least once a day, so I'm not a complete couch potato, but this HAS to be sorted for the summer.
    No specific goal, but I reckon 28 weeks, 2lb a week should be 56 lb = 4 stone.
    Good luck to us all!

6. Me! Waiting on the 'Idiot Proof Diet' AKA 'From Pig to twig' books to arrive. Saw a friend who had lost over two stone easily on it. 'Tis low carb which makes work snacking tricky but will give it a go!

7. Hi Found Nemo.
    I used this book a few years ago and did successfully lose some weight and wasn't ever hungry. I have thought about using it again but I am a really picker eater and not very imaginative and ended up eating the same meals every day. It can be quite expensive and I was a bit concerned that it wasn't very healthy. I also became quite constipated!!!!
    However, it is a really good companion to dieting and I learnt some low carb ideas.
    I would be really interested to hear what you think of it and how you get on if you use it. If things don't go well I could be tempted to use it again...

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ok, I'll join you.

I've posted here before about what I'll eat. having lost 3 stone last year (in about 4 months) I want to lose 2st 4lb by March 14th.

Does anyone have ideas for low fat meat-free protein that's not beans?

9. Tofu? Quorn? Quinoa? Lentils?

10. lilachardy

Oh, I've not got any quinoa in - I'll have to pop to Sainsbury's to stock up.

Thanks for the reminder :D

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Lil, this is a good, filling meat-free recipie. I reckon you could easily get away with using half the amount of oil to reduce the fat and calorie content.
    <u>Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew</u>
    Hands-on time: 15 mins; cooking time: 45 mins; serves 2
    • 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
    • 1 small onion, finely chopped
    • 2cm piece root ginger, grated
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 2 tsp ground coriander
    • 1/2tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra for garnish (optional)
    • 2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
    • 1 large sweet potato - around 350g - chopped into large chunks
    • 100g red lentils
    • 450ml hot vegetable stock (I use Knorr)
    • Small handful fresh baby spinach
    • 2tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
    1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook for 5-10 min until softened and starting to turn golden. Add the ginger, garlic, coriander and paprika and cook for 1 min.
    2. Add the celery, sweet potato and lentils; stir for 1-2 min. Season. Pour in stock, cover, bring to the boil ans simmer gently for 30-35 min until lentils are cooked through.
    3. Divide between 2 bowls. Top with the spinach, a spoonful of yoghurt and a sprinkle of paprika if you like. Serve at once.
    511 cals, 12g fat (2g saturates), 81g carbs (21g total sugars) per serving
    <u>To Vary Next Time</u>
    Swap the sweet potato for the same quantity of butternut squash (peeled weight) and the lentils for a 400g tin haricot beans, drained. Swap the coriander and paprika for 1 tsp harissa paste and 1 rosemary sprig. Use only 300ml stock. Serve garnished with spinach.

12. Well, I'm READY to start. I went sale shopping yesterday and this has given me the motivation to get cracking. I used to love clothese shopping but each time I go I end up feeling very deflated and angry with myself for not fitting into the clothes I like. It sounds vein but that's the one thing I am looking forward to most about losing weight. I ended up buying shoes - at least my feet don't change size [​IMG]
    Therefore, I'm starting today.
    Just back from 1 hour at the gym. Did 30 mins on weight loss programme on the cross trainer, 20 minutes rowing and 20 mins walking at an incline of 9.
    Wondering what kind of exericise others have found effective?
    PS. Current weight 9st 11 [​IMG]

13. lilachardy

Mine have done...

Thanks for the stew recipe - I'll try it!

I do eat fish occasionally, but I am allergic to some fish and I don't really like shellfish. Scampi in breadcrumbs is ok. I had wondered if there was anything obvious I was missing... but there wasn't!

14. Power walking is my most loved exercise now. I can't do the gym as I find it so mind numbing but power walking I can do for hours. That mixed with Jazzercise classes changed my body shape completely.

15. I haven't tried either of those things PFF. I'm a bit of a soloist when it comes to exercise. I do like the idea of a jazzercise class though and one of my new year resolutions is to be more sociable so I might look it up.
    I've been quite **** today with food but I suppose tomorrow, back to school, is when my regime will really commence! I have also put the other half on a diet so hopefully that will help.

16. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

A good day - first walk done, having found a walking programme to follow. Didn't indulge in staffroom chocolates either. Virtuous and smug!

17. Gergil- can I ask what walking programme you have? Would be great to get hold of one.
    Ta! JH

18. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

19. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Where's everyone gone?
    Second walk done, out of breath a little but not even a bit of sweat (Mmm!) Perhaps I need to go a little further/faster.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter