1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OK to take time off to visit potential school for my own child?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sabrinakat, Oct 22, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Just curious. We are hesitating about which school to send our 3 1/2 year old next year and have been investigating good local primaries. One school near my own secondary has an open morning at the end of November and I would very much like to go -- that morning, I am not teaching PRs1, 3 and 4 and my PR2 is my tutor group and we would be working on projects for our Christmas stall, which they could do joining with another tutor group for that one hour.

Any advice? Would a one-time request for a short time off for a personal reason be acceptable? [We are allowed to choose three schools through the local county site and I will try and do the visits to one other in December after my own school finishes; I did a visit yesterday to an independent that we are considering (I am on half-term at the moment)]

Thanks for any help!

______________________________________________________________________________________
    damnant quod non intellegunt

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Nothing to stop you asking.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

New school for me and don't want to ask for something that might not be ok. I could unofficially ask one or two other teachers before making a formal request. It's not urgent or necessary to visit the school but .....

_________________________________________________________________________________
    damnant quod non intellegunt

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't think you are asking anything unreasonable as you are not teaching at the time and it is a one off.

Are you in the independent sector? Do they normally allow this? Ask your line. Manager first for their opinion.

You will have to ask eventually. May say no, but again I don't think you will be thought less of as it is within the realms of being reasonable. For comparison I once worked with an NQT who requested p1 off for a week in sept so they could take their kid to school for the first week as they didn't want to miss it. Didn't get it...

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

Fortunately, my secondary school starts later than most schools, so I can easily be there for the all-important first day of school.

Will ask when I go back in early November (two weeks half-term, aaaaah!) - if it is an issue, will email the Head teacher of the primary to ask if a time in December (we finish the week earlier) is ok.

6. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I know SLT often get a hard time here, often for very good reasons, but I can only speak for my school.

I would be OK with allowing this for a member of my staff. As long as you ask rather than expect, and maybe offer to make up the time or take it unpaid. To be honest I wouldn't make someone do that, but the offer is always appreciated.

In the end you can ask. The worst they can say is no.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not an unreasonable request if such visits take place during the school day - and in any case, it would be an unusual head who thought less of you for asking even if they refuse the request.

On this and other issues, however, check to see if your school has a written policy on this sort of thing - it's good to know in advance if it has, as it stops you worrying about such issues.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Ladykaza makes a very good point. Ask nicely rather than seeming as though you expect (from what you've said above that's clear that you will ask very nicely), and offer something in return.

It makes it easier for the Head to say Yes.

Best wishes

9. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

If you can offer a solution as to how your class can be covered while you are out, then it makes the path to asking much easier. In our school, the Head is amenable to staff attending their own children's class assemblies and special shows,parents' meetings etc., but we normally try to sort cover solutions out between ourselves first so that the thinking bit of the request has already been done:)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly!

Give the Head a solution, not a problem

sally90 likes this.