1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ok to invite only one partner to wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leatherpatches, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Nothing, but there's not much right in forgetting about whether or not the guests enjoy themselves.
    The best wedding I ever went to had the reception in a sports hall so lack of money is no excuse.

2. I hope not as its a little mean.
    Its normal to have a whip round in the staffroom but not if you've been invited to the reception.

3. At the risk of giving more capital to the small minds who drop the smart comments (Inky and MM so far) she disagrees with me. Can't see why I'm put out.

I tried explaining that I'd never go anywhere she wasn't welcome, but it fell on deaf ears.

Well, what's good for the goose, eh?

4. Agreed ... if I was invited to a wedding reception I would buy a gift

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Me neither. I suspect it 's a generational thing, priorities have switched from an enjoyment of good company to an awareness of show.

6. When a colleague of ours married last summer we had a collection and gave the couple the money.
    They were very happy with that.

7. As a staff, yes, of course

But I am sure that people who actually attended bought their own gift too

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Agreed
    Not sure I agree. Priorities have changed from tradition to doing what you want on your day.

9. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

If it was the actual wedding and reception, I would expect your partner to be invited.
    For the evening reception, I think it is perfectly acceptable to invite just the colleague.
    It would be normal here, not to even issue individual evening invitations to colleagues. A general invitation would probably be sent to the staff and they generally wouldn't be required to reply.
    I had quite a few colleagues at my evening recpetion, and I don't know if they brought their partners or not. It wouldn't have bothered me either way, to be honest.

10. Yes, sadly

11. Conceded, I wasn't invited.
    Do you think it could be because I'm widowed and would mess up the numbers, having no plus one?
    Or just that the staff member doesn't really know me that well?

12. I do not imagine that anyone does not invite people because they are single

But maybe they do in this "my perfect day" world

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I find it depressing.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Me too. I'm turning into my granny.....

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh!
    Maybe she sees it as a kind of work 'do'?
    Get some beers in and have the boys round when the time comes. You'll probably have a much better time anyway!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well, exactly.
    I don't know any of my colleagues' partners and their partners don't know any of their colleagues. A couple of them don't have partners anyway. Presumably the OP's wife has been invited along with other colleagues and not been invited by herself.
    People are very strange - always seem to be seeking offence where none is intended.

17. What would be the consensus on inviting two colleagues who are very good friends (with each other) but not their partners? I'm fairly sure one would appreciate a weekend away from hers anyway [​IMG]

18. Depends on how well you know the partners.

19. Met both less than a handful of times - should say the two colleagues are former colleages

20. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Seems perfectly fine to me. All the colleagues can go together. When did couples stop being able to have a night apart?
    Weddings are expensive. I wouldn't pay for pay for partners to come to my wedding unless it was the partners of my family or very best friends. Certainly not for colleagues. If they wouldn't come because of that then stuff them!