1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ok to invite only one partner to wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leatherpatches, Jan 16, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

bloody rude of them. I have had to spend a wedding talking to a single person stuck on their own for hours and it was inconvenient to me and boring for them.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well, for example my friends who are getting married in August.
    They are inviting 50 people to the wedding which is a) all they can afford and b) the capacity of the venue.
    If they were to send me a plus one, that would mean that someone else couldn't go to the wedding. Surely it's better that they invite 50 people they want rather than have 25 people each holding on to "plus one" tickets (taking it to extremes).

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

or they could just have two or more sittings for the service

4. If numbers were an issue, I would much rather they invite another friend than worry about inviting my significant other. Yes it would be lovely if a partner was invited, but I wouldn't be offended if they weren't. I certainly wouldn't have a rubbish time if I had to go on my own.

5. lurk_much

they need to see their guests as people not place settings.

6. If it's inviting colleagues to the evening reception, they will generally know each other so being single is not an issue.

7. Its better to have everyone you invite having a happy day and at least one person they can talk to!
    Depends on whether you want it to be all about you or whether you'd like the guests to have a semi-decent time. I was literally falling asleep with boredom by the end of the aforementioned wedding and I don't have good memories of it to say the least.

8. Ahhhhhhh

That is probably the difference in our Wedding invitations and the ones for half a couple

We

1. Knew our budget

2. Decided who we wanted to invite (including the better halves and the +1s)

3. THEN we chose a venue that ensured we could match 1+2

It would not have crossed our minds to choose a venue that could not accommodate all the people we wanted there at the price we could afford

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I just can't get past the idea of only inviting half a couple to an event celebrating the union of two people

10. lurk_much

exactly right

11. I can accept that this is something other people do ... but I also do not "get" it

12. Why would you assume that it was that way around

I would not want to go without my husband ... it is a wedding ... I would want him with me

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

What does your wife make of it, leather?
    I'm just wondering what I'd do if a friend/colleague of mine invited me to their evening do, but not Mr M. Or vice versa. It's a tricky one. [​IMG]

14. Maybe the to-be-wed has invited work colleagues as singletons, rather than as +1, because there are several work colleagues who already know each other and make a good group? Maybe the to-be-wed is hoping that they will attend the wedding do as a group - rather like a works night out?

15. Apart from anything else, the money for a pressie would come out of a couple's joint budget and inviting only one half of the couple seems a bit rude.

16. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

I've had 2 single 'invitations' - the first many years ago to a relative's evening reception across the country. My presence was expected, but no +1. I had no option but to go, despite my annoyance.

More recently a colleague invited a group of us, but couldn't budget for partners. It was either all of us on our own, or only some plus husbands they didn't know. In that circumstance, perfectly acceptable and a damn good night out!!

17. lurk_much

I have been to a wedding where we the guests paid for everything. I even ended splitting the cost of the bride and groom's snap with a mate. We all wanted them to be able to go ahead with their wedding but there was an unfortunate **** up situation with their income stream. It was a good do even if financially tricky.

I get the impression that some weddings are more about a flash perfect day than addressing the purpose. If a lack of money is getting in your way you are cocking it up.

18. We're in the 21stC, couples getting married want to celebrate the occassion with friends and family, often on limited budgets. What is really wrong with that?

19. Oh and when it comes to giving gifts, where colleagues are invited is not usual to have a collection and buy a gift from the group?

20. TeaLeaves

TeaLeaves New commenter

My ex boyfriend attended the weddings of 5 of his closest friends, none thought it appropriate to ask his girlfriend of nearly a year to attend. I won't lie, I was very bitter and took it very personally - one wedding was fine, but 5 in one summer?! And he didn't see the issue. Not bitter at all...