1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ok to invite only one partner to wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leatherpatches, Jan 16, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thinking back, quite a few of the friends who attended our wedding had partners or spouses we barely knew.
    And ours was the full sit down 4 course nosebag with champagne and a free bar before and after.*
    *hence it was a very small, but very jolly occasion. [​IMG]

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Inviting a single person to a wedding could be seen as rubbing their nose in it.
    Having a "plus one" on the invite even more so.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i wouldn't be upset if OH got invited to work colleague's wedding and i wasn't - if i didn't know them, fine! he wouldn't be upset with vice versa, either. he doesn't know them from adam and isn't a fan of wedding evening dos anyway. (neither of us like wedding discos very much!)

4. [​IMG]

5. I'm going to a wedding this year. I will be on my own and don't know anyone else going. It will be weird but I'm sure I'll get chatting to people. If by then I have a partner, I won't expect them to be invited.

I don't understand why people feel miffed that their partner is not invited - weddings are expensive. Surely if there are lots of people without partners you can have a boogie together.

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

It is ungracious and a sign of declining moral standards. Or perhaps I'm getting old.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

The church muscled into marriage during the fifteenth century as a
    calvinist* control strategy. Before that it was just a question of
    making a declaration together, not before any authority, just you, some mates and a statement to your familes. They have always been about declaring your intentions to the people that matter, friends, family and possibly, patrons.
    What place does a colleague who is not a friend have at a wedding?

* simplification

8. So, in your opinion, no singleton should ever be invited to a wedding ... how sad

I would never have met my beloved had we not attended the wedding at which we met

9. Moral standards? How?
    Perhaps singles should not be invited at all, they do so mess up the numbers and where/with whom should we seat them.
    Perhaps a little side table just for them.

10. I would not be "miffed" but I would not attend

11. Quite right.
    Who wants single, divorced or bereaved people cluttering up the place?

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not at all... I said could.
    Why waste an invite on a plus one, when you know the person is single?

13. lurk_much

why not, do you think it right that an event intended to celebrate a lifelong commitment should exclude your partner?

14. Calvinism didn't take off until the late sixteenth century.

15. Because wedding invitations go out well in advance

I am not sure why it is a "waste" of an invitation ... what does that mean

16. lurk_much

100 years, who cares?
    it is about the personal commitment not the chuch.

17. Why would the uninvited partner, not want the invited partner go?
    Has he/she got an eye on a better chance. And weddings are notoriously romantic, yep tie em up, they're staying home.

18. I once went to a wedding as a single person where they did have one of these, nearest the door and the last to be served at dinner. Just the singles and the couple doing the video.
    I'd travelled halfway across Europe for the wedding and I'd rather not have been invited.

19. lurk_much

it means you value the £27 you pay the caterer per head more than the boredness you inflict on a single invitee

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I suppose if the single person doesn't really know the other guests, they could bring a friend?
    All of our single mates knew most of the other folk there (we were quite a big circle of friends), so this wasn't a major issue.