1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ok to invite only one partner to wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leatherpatches, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Well, is it? I would value any opinions, really. I'm not up on social etiquette but I feel a little miffed that my wife has a wedding invite without me on it.

I don't know the couple - my wife works with one of them. Also it's just evening not all day.

Is it poor form or totally reasonable?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Maybe your wife talks about you when she's at work?

3. Happened to me. After a mild bitching session about the friend in question (partner's, not mine - I was the one not invited) I more or less forgot about it. Every year or so I'll bring it up though, we'll have a mild bitching session/cackle, and that's it. Til next time. :)
    Couple in question got divorced recently...

4. Probably one of the most intelligent points you've made in your short time on here, MM.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i think if if it's the evening do, and the couple inviting work colleagues, then it's ok. there is usually a limit on numbers, and when it comes right down to it, they want their friends, not people they don't know. sorry.
    my friend got married recently, and there were certain colleagues that had supported him through thick and very thin. they were there all day, and their OHs weren't. they hadn't done any of teh suppoting, and he didn't know them.
    besides, those ladies seemed to be having a very good time without any OH help :p

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Personally, yes I think it is a bit poor. And yes, I would feel pretty narked.
    One of the friends who we invited to our wedding (a hundred years ago) had just started going out with his lass when the invite landed. He asked if she could come with him even though we'd never met her. Not a problem!

7. I would not attend any part of a wedding without my better half and vice versa

Surely an evening do would involve dancing ... how does one do that without a partner

8. Agree with this, how many colleagues would you invite, partners too would really up the numbers and without family and other friends.

9. Even invites to singletons for our wedding were to Name and Plus one

10. I wouldn't take it personally if it's just the evening do and she's having to invite people from work. But since it's just the evening do, I'd have thought half a pork pie and some cole slaw might have stretched to both of you!

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

How quaint.

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It is pathetically ill-mannered and also pretty much misses the point of the day

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I kind of wish we'd done that, as there were only 6 singles. But it was a very, very small wedding and we didn't have an evening do.

14. [​IMG]

15. I think I'd feel really miffed if my husband wasn't invited and I was. If it was a good friend I'd tell her how I felt, if not then I'd decline the invitation.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The people who are holding the wedding are paying for it. They can invite who they like.
    I would invite partners but if they don't want to then that is up to them. If you have a problem with it then decline the invitiation.

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]?
    but really do they have a clue about etiquette?
    +1 everytime

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe that remark is of the sort that got you not invited to the wedding!
    More to the point, maybe the couple can't afford to invite two-for-the-price-of-one when only one of the pair actually know the bride and groom.

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Butr it still seems a bit weird. If it were me and money was tight, I'd rather have happy friends and their partners around me than a load of half-couples, even if it meant the wedding wasn't so lavish.

20. Yeah but when it comes to etiquette who wrote the book? And what was the agenda.
    Colleagues at our school number almost one hundred, is it really reasonable to expect the happy couple to cater for all those + ones?