1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OK taking bets on if I'll get paid this week or not!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MisterFlibble, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Background to this - my mummy brought me up to be honest and not to lie. Back in October I did a booking for a half day, got erroneously paid for a full day and called it straight into the agency who said they'd adjust the next week's paycheque accordingly - but never did.
    Today the phone goes - "you know you're getting paid this week for work you did last week at X... well payroll have asked me to ring you because you were overpaid back in October and they want to start taking it back out of this paycheque."
    I'm afraid I hit the roof about the fact that I rang in to tell THEM of their mistake back in October and they pick the week before the summer holidays, when money will be at its tightest to start finally getting into gear and try to rake the money back (not my main agency but I've worked for them a decent bit over the year so not as if they've not had the opportunity).
    They've assured me they won't start clawing it back until after September now and that they'll make sure to relay my unhappy bunny status back up the line to the boss - but I'm now taking bets that I won't get paid at all this week! (and that I won't get the phone ringing at all from them next year lol)
    Anyone want to take a guess either way?! Heh!

2. Background to this - my mummy brought me up to be honest and not to lie. Back in October I did a booking for a half day, got erroneously paid for a full day and called it straight into the agency who said they'd adjust the next week's paycheque accordingly - but never did.
    Today the phone goes - "you know you're getting paid this week for work you did last week at X... well payroll have asked me to ring you because you were overpaid back in October and they want to start taking it back out of this paycheque."
    I'm afraid I hit the roof about the fact that I rang in to tell THEM of their mistake back in October and they pick the week before the summer holidays, when money will be at its tightest to start finally getting into gear and try to rake the money back (not my main agency but I've worked for them a decent bit over the year so not as if they've not had the opportunity).
    They've assured me they won't start clawing it back until after September now and that they'll make sure to relay my unhappy bunny status back up the line to the boss - but I'm now taking bets that I won't get paid at all this week! (and that I won't get the phone ringing at all from them next year lol)
    Anyone want to take a guess either way?! Heh!

3. such a joke! why do we put up with this? people in other professions would not stand for this! My pay has been messed up all year long...im so over it! [​IMG]

4. In my experience, the chances of getting paid by an agency are about 60%.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

This happened to me in a life before teaching when an employer paid me for three months after I had left them. I told them about their mistake but heard nothing back so I assumed it was a reward for loyal service. [​IMG]
    One year later (which was quick for them) they did reply asking for the money back so I checked the legal position in the faint hope I could keep it now. The answer was a big NO. I was not entitled to the money in the first place and so had to return it. But I was allowed to pay it back on my terms. In actual fact I always thought it was too good to be true so never spent the money instead putting it into a higher interest rate savings account so earnt a bit of interest on it.
    Doesn't help much on a half days pay though but they can take it back.

6. It is a pity that the same rules do not apply when the boot is on the other foot: when employers own you!

7. Well my unhappybunnyness was duly noted and I have in fact been paid and allowed to defer THEIR screw up till September.
    Then my other agency mucked up pay but have put this right in time to get it through this week - just been the week for it I guess!