1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OK starting the baby stuff shopping list!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MisterFlibble, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Figured I'd ask in here rather than pregnancy for people to respond with the "no you really don't need that pink fur trimmed cot that the websites claim you do" reality as opposed to retail-hazed dellusion.
    Since Mr Inland Revenue obligingly decided he owed me money instead of the other way around - trying to get ahead of at least budgetting and hiding money in savings accounts where I'll forget it's there (cos otherwise I'll crack and buy meself an iPad instead and I don't think even I can pull the "baby wants it" excuse off on that one).
    Think we've got a moses basket and bouncy chair thing sorted through the hand-me-downs, pretty sure someone's going to buy us a travel system when I ever figure out what on earth's going to actually fit in our car/house with no spare space whatsoever - but other than that - we're starting from scratch and this is a distraction from thoughts of "oh **** I'm going to have to actually tackle the stripping the woodchip paper in the spare room I've successfully put off for 12 months so far."

2. Go and STRIP THAT WOODCHIP!! It'll feel so good afterwards! *secretly chuckling that I'm not the one doing it*
    I have two boys and one on the way. Things I found invaluable:
    moses basket and stand (cheap, from Argos);
    baby bath (put it on the basket stand as I had a c-section and used it for months and months as our bathroom is tiny. If you have a bigger bathroom - i.e not a postage stamp - then one of the towelling supports is a godsend - they're £10 and brilliant);
    8-10 babygrows and vests (I got more than 6 as they advised because of dribble and vomit, plus no tumbledryer);
    travel system (which didn't once get used as a travel system! I only ever used the pram as a pram and the pushchair as a pushchair; I never removed the seat from the car once!);
    steriliser and bottles (Tommee Tippee);
    cardigan and jacket (very useful for my summertime babies...);
    newborn Pampers (only ones that didn't leak everywhere for us so swear by them. Never ever had a single leak!);
    cotbed, sheets and mattress (cheap and from Argos - couldn't be bothered with matching set);
    change bag (free from Boots and has lasted through two babies so a total bargain);
    change mat;
    lots and lots of clothes (which get worn maybe twice and then grown out of, but are beautiful to coo over in advance!);
    muslins.
    I didn't bother with a mobile (a cot is for sleep, dammit), top and tail bowl (waaaaaaaay too lazy), a sling (poor bubba would've suffocated between my boobs, plus after a section I was far too sore for the first few weeks, but I do know people who have sworn by them), a monitor (we live in a flat so not necessary - the slightest wheeze and we heard it), a rocker (that's what I've got arms for!) and anything that had the word 'baby proofing' on the front. We never bothered baby proofing - moving him away and saying 'no' is far more effective in my experience because then they don't touch the same things (like sockets) in other houses too.
    But with your first, part of the joy is the shopping. It isn't as much fun with number 2 and you've got your first born creating havoc in the aisles of Mothercare and sweeping everything onto the floor in Baby Gap. Enjoy it!

3. Hi MisterFlibble,
    I'm new on the forum and noticed your message. It's not always easy to know what items you really NEED to buy rather than the cutesy items you end up buying as a new parent. I have 4 children, 2 of which are grown up and left school, (1 graduated from uni and the other at college, the younger 2 still school aged.) You will obviously want to buy the best you can for your first child, and I know from experience some of my purchases were just whims and not used very much in practicality. I'm not sure about rules on the forum about adding a web link to an online article, but there's some good advice on buying nursery items for first time parents here:
    http://www.newmother.co.uk/pregnancybabies/nurserystore.html
    Although there are items for sale on this webpage, It is the small article, Advice on buying nursery equipment, I feel may be of use to you.
    I hope this is of use to you!
    Good luck with the decorating!

4. Thanks - it's the more practical stuff I'm interested in knowing than the cutesy stuff (I don't DO cutsey!) really since money's going to be pretty dismal.

As for the woodchip - I suspect it's probably all that's holding half the house up - my current cunning plan is to wait and get the in-laws to come and help do it, by which time I'll have too much of a bump to be of much use doing anything other than making cups of tea! I think it's rather cunning! Alternatively I'll just paint over the wretched stuff since the odds are the baby's going to end up growing into a kid and sticking stickers off everything and anything all over the walls anyway!

5. We had a moses basket which wasn't used once as lo screamed every time she was placed in it, so slept with us. Glad it was a hand-me-down.
    We had a pram/travel system which was only used a handful of times as lo hated it (same problem as moses basket), so she was in the sling a LOT.
    A wrap sling is a godsend (or at least I found it to be) as you have both hands free and can get jobs done without having to leave baby.
    A breast pump is a good investment if you are planning to breastfeed. You can pick up second hand ones very cheaply on ebay, and if you sterilise them properly they are fine to use. An electric one is much quicker and easier to use than a manual one. They aren't strictly necessary, but they do mean you can leave lo with daddy for a while if necessary.
    I got cloth nappies. I bought them second hand and it's saved me soooo much money over the year and a half we've been using them. You can get birth to potty nappies, which can be adjusted for newborns or toddlers. They're not for everyone but they do work out cheaper and you can polish your halo that you're doing something for the environment too.

6. Re: woodchip, painting it helps a lot. Although, I would second the in laws idea.

I liked the towelling bath rest thing other poster mentioned. babies are teeny and wiggly and I was a bit rubbish at getting mine clean when I was heart scared of drowning the wean.
    Some people do without one, but I really liked having a changing table, I think it was just a better height for me than kneeling on the floor or doing it on my knee (poop gets everywhere, I don't want a baby's bum on my knee).
    Travel system - ours stayed in the boot so it doesn;t end up cluttering up inside as we thoguht it would. I do have to remind myself to leave it for the grannies as I drive off to work though.

7. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I agree. We were so lucky with b/feeding. We wanted to do it because it's free, and luckily LO was a natural at it. I would strongly, strongly advise, though- if you do have trouble with it but want to persist, try and get hold of a Breastfeeding Network person. They might have volunteers in your hospital. They were far more helpful than the midwives, some of whom didn't seem to know anything at all about how to feed.
    (Incidentally, stock up on sleep. I was prepared to be tired, but I thought baby would be, too. She slept for about six hours the first night, so I was completely unprepared to spend the entire second night awake, as she fed... and fed... and fed...)
    Anyway, what to buy! We were given tons of clothes, blankets and so on. Very fortunate, again. However, what has been useful:
    * Lansinoh (nipple cream)
    * Reusable nappies (Smartipants, from fill-your-pants website: £250 for about 15+bucket+liners+bucket liner+ two overnighters and a wrap. We must have saved a fortune since we got them and cynical OH is a total convert.)
    * Sleeping bags- get ones which unzip around, rather than down the middle- easier then if LO falls asleep outside it, to get him/her into it! They are great because however wriggly, baby can't get out and get cold.
    * Swim nappy
    * Don't buy Sudocrem- we were recommended by a pharmacist one called Canotren and it's fab.
    * Lamaze cot/pram toys. Captain Calamari is a fave!
    * OH found, a few months ago, a little blow-up paddling pool in Asda, Tesco or similar. It's small enough that it fits in our bath and since she was too big for the baby bath (more water was ending up on the bathroom floor than in the bath) we've bathed her in that- it's also travel-portable.
    * I'd echo those who said don't bother with clothes as such. I did, and while I don't particularly regret it (since we had them given us) I wouldn't bother next time. Sleepsuits are much more suitable for newborns and you can find loads of cute ones, footless ones, short ones, little cardis or wraps to wear over them... I like babipur website, I wish I had money to buy things on there! If you have some to spend, do take a look. They are lush and all organic cotton, lovely and soft!
    A nice book to read if you like quite sciency things (easy to read, though, not like a textbook) is How Babies Think by Alison Gopnik. If you're interested in attachment I've been recommended Why Love Matters by Sue Gerhardt.

Oh, and- leave the woodchip. Just paint it! I had woodchip throughout my childhood and it did me no harm at all! [​IMG]

8. I wish I had read 'The Social Baby' and 'The Wonder Weeks' before I had my LO - they have been so useful.

9. The trouble is- everyone swears by different things...

Don't buy Johnsons products- babies don't need any more than water in the fisrt weeks, and Johnsons is quite harsh on babies skin,

Sudocream- we got a GIANT tub when pregnant, and not opened it. The tiny tubs you get free in Bounty packs are enough.

I loved my wrap sling- daughter hated being put down so she lived in the sling for months- hardly used my pram.
    I love my changing table- great for storing stuff and is the only place she doesn't wriggle around in.

Size 1 nappies were massive so we had to start on micronappies from Pampers- keep these in mind.
    A travel mug sounds a great idea.
    We were given an amazing amount of clothes- so don't buy too many, you can always send grandparents/dad out to get some more- so few sleepsuits/vests and some blankets... when are you due, may need a pram suit if you will have a winter baby.
    Hat as well.

10. Buy a wrap-a-round sling. My child wouldn't tolerate being put down (sigh) and if I'd had one of those it would've saved me a hell of a lot of awful-ness and the ability to at least go to the toilet and make a cup of tea. Hell, a glass of water would've sufficed. Ah well, you live and learn too late occasionally...

11. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

MisterFibble - it really made me smile to see you posting on here. [​IMG]
    I've found a sling invaluable.
    Breastfeeding cushion I couldn't do without.
    Lansinoh was invaluable for the early days.
    I found the Stokke Tripp Trapp highchair with newborn attachment to be the best thing we'd bought! (Well, my parents bought!)
    Also, I thought 0-3 babygros would be OK - she was 8lbs 5ozs, so big without being very big, but she's long - but they drowned her! Would also suggest white cos they're good on a boil wash.
    A packet of Napisan.
    Sudocrem again I wouldn't bother with as am still using the small pot from the Bounty pack (baby's 6 months)
    Other than that I can't think!

12. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Oh yes, and I agree with whoever suggested Freecycle!

13. Sadly I don't think our freecycle's likely to be much use - been a lot of the resident habitual wanters posting requests for baby stuff recently. Know I can get a tonne of stuff from various people on hand-me-downs which I'm never going to be precious about where kids' clothes are concerned!
    Pretty much ok on 0-3 clothes - next I'm thinkingis stocking up on size up/down I think (don't dare buy stuff that's not easily storeable until I'm feeling regular movement as a reassurance it's all ok... think I felt bubbles down there the other day but nowt since then - and need to freecycle all the **** that's mouldering in what's currently the spare room before we have space!)
    Would I be a very wicked and scurrilous person to contemplate abusing the fact that no one in our ante-natal pays any attention to who picks up Bounty packs in order to obtain extra free dinky pots of Sudocrem.... since they're going to make me sit there for two flipping hours in a few weeks for a glucose test anyway!?

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Go for it [​IMG] You get a Bounty pack after you've had your baby too and there should be one in there. We have a big Sudocrem tub with some left over from when my son was born in June 2009! My daughter is 6 months now and i can count on one hand the number of times we've used it for her.
    We have a Mamas & Papas bath and my tall 2 year old still fits in it, just the reverse way round, so I'm glad we bought it.
    My son was 7lbs13 and dropped to 6lbs7 and fit in newborn clothes no problem, as did my 8lbs10 daughter.
    We bought a monitor for some reason (we live in a flat) and that was waste of money.
    I second the sling. I bought one for my daughter, but not until she was about 5 weeks old, and i wish i'd had it from day 1.
    The GTT isn't too bad - my dad has type 2 diabetes so i had to have it with both of mine - but take a good book!

15. My daughter was 6lb 4, so quite small - newborn clothes were massive on her but the swamped look was kinda cute- tiny baby stuff wouldn't have lasted long.

If you can get extra bounty packs, do it, it's all marketing stuff anyway so nobody really loses out.
    We had a bouncy chair we used loads and a baby swing my daughter hated. I love ebay, charity shops and any sort of baby sale- so many people end up buying things they hardly use, you can get some almost new stuff for a fraction of the price.

I had a Bug in the Rug- I loved it. basically a rug with legs and a hood... much easier than keeping a blanket on in the pram and easy to wear on car seat.

16. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

I would very much recommend a sling - either a wrap or soft structured carrier. If when baby arrives they want lots of cuddles gives yours arms a rest and if they are windy/reflux it will help relieve that.
    I personally would recommend a woven wrap as they are truely suitable from birth (even prem) through to toddler/pre-school. www.precious-bundle.co.uk have a good range of affordable slings (of all types) to give you some ideas. I personally love the Hoppediz wraps (even for my now 27lb toddler).

I would avoid mass produced slings (baby bjorn, tomy etc) as they don't hold the baby in the most ergonmic way (their knees should be above their bum) and get very uncomfortable for the wearer when the baby doesn't weigh that much