1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, so what that Gove has plans to relax restrictions on overseas trained teachers. Still...

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by andrew07, Jun 1, 2011.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

unless the job is on the shortage list (like maths and science teachers are), then schools have to go through hoops, such as the resident labour market test, the points system, AND the new cap, which I support. There are NO plans to ever change this. So, basically, its just like coming here as a professor or business person, your qualications count, which is good BUT, got to get through immigration requirements first. That is the tricky part which won't change and no reason why it should.

2. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

unless the job is on the shortage list (like maths and science teachers are), then schools have to go through hoops, such as the resident labour market test, the points system, AND the new cap, which I support. There are NO plans to ever change this. So, basically, its just like coming here as a professor or business person, your qualications count, which is good BUT, got to get through immigration requirements first. That is the tricky part which won't change and no reason why it should.

3. This is incredibly good news for people who come over from these countries to gain teaching experience (due to an incredible job shortage in some of these places) and find that the UK is the place that they want to live and work.
    I have a double degree in Education and History, and always found it ridiculous (and moderately offensive) that my five years of university in Canada made me "unqualified" in the UK - I've been training to be a teacher since I was 19 years old! I'm glad that I can come back this summer and try to get back into the teaching game without the spectre of NEEDING to gain QTS straight away over my head.
    Of course, it doesn't solve any of the immigration hoops that overseas teachers need to jump through, but that's a separate issue. If a school/LA is organized enough, a work visa sponsorship can always happen. It's also worth it for overseas teachers to investigate European heritage - my grandparents emigrated from Germany to Canada in the 1950s, but didn't become CDN citizens until the 1970s, therefore making my father (and myself) EU passport holders.

4. Its absolutely brilliant!!! we have been campaigning to change this since 2007!

5. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

There may have been two hoops in the past, but there is still the hoop of immigration. I think that is the point now. In order to come here as a teacher NOW, your sponsoring school must either pass the market test (unlikely given the unemployed teachers) or it must be shortage (science and maths only). ALSO, you must hold a job offer for over 20,000pa, which would rule out state schools employing ott starting on the unqualified scale. This means that the only teachers who will now be allowed to get here in the first place have a contract with a sponsoring independent school that is off MPS as either a maths or science teacher, unless I've completely missed the point of the latest set of visa changes (April 6).
    Oh yeah, and there is a cap on how many people they will let into the country to do jobs that there supposedly aren't enough people here to do... well done govt.
    I wouldn't exaclty call this a 'free ride.' Unless of course you are sure you will be under the cap and have a contract with a salary above 20,000pa as a science or maths teacher...

6. Not necessarily, if you come here on an Ancestry Visa you have the right to work - you do not need to be sponsored and the job does not need to be a shortage subject (speaking from experience). So anyone living anywhere in the world who has a grandparent who was born in the UK can come and teach (as long as they have a teaching qualification from their country obviously).

7. I am an American teacher. Would you explain some of your terms, such as independent school, MPS, and 20,000pa. And what is the unqualified scale?

8. Independent schools are where parents pay fees - they don't have to follow the same guidelines as the free education schools (state schools). 20,000pa - 20 thousand GBP per year salary. Unqualified scale is for those who do not have QTS (teacher certification + year of being watched!) and is a lower pay scale than the qualified teachers.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000189 is the non-qualified scale
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186 is qualified one.
    MPS is main pay scale (I think). Independents often have their own which can be either better or worse depending on school and area.
    hope that helps - if i've got anything wrong then feel free to correct me anyone.....

9. Thank you. Could you tell me about how independents compare to state schools. In America, we call these private versus public schools. The private schools are usually by and for religious nut jobs. They pay poorly and have minimal health or other benefits. They can hire anyone so generally all the fattest cows from the sponsoring religious congregation work there and also unqualified, rather stupid, very religious men as headmasters and teaching there. It is rather like all the delightful characters from The Scarlet Letter in one school except for Hester. I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. Is it the same there?