1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OK, so I'm a luddite.... iPads in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rustybug, Apr 20, 2012.

1. There has been a lot of talk on here about using iPads, iPods and iPhones in lessons, and I have just read the thread nabout mymaths with the recent contributions by the man Alex who has been making apps.
    I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch, my daughter has an iPad, so I am reasonably familiar with how they work, but I have some questions about using these devices in the classroom:
    1) If you use an iPad in the classroom, can you project things on the main board, and can you use an IWB to control an iPad?
    2) I have download Alex's app to my iPhone but it is looking for another iDevice in the neighbourhood to play with - so I guess that's how it works - do these maths teaching apps assume that each child/pair of children has an iDevice?
    3) Mainly, can one use iDevices in the classroom in any way besides each child/pair having a device and doing games with each other / against the computer? I mean, does anyone use them for whole-group teaching? Do you ask them to bring their own, or do you have a set for classroom use?
    Thanks for any help you can give me to get my head around this - I feel like it's a train that's pulling out of the station and leaving me behind!!

2. Projection is possible on an iPad, you just need to the correct adapter. But I only found it worked if I was showing photos or presentations done on KeyNote. I couldn't figure out how to get it to show, for example, a website page.

3. Hello Rustybug,
    The questions you are asking are the same questions that are being asked by everyone else who has looked at an iPad; that you are asking them at all suggests you are in fact on that train. It is possible to do almost anything you want by jailbreaking the device (not recommended). My prefered vision for use in the classroom is to see them connected to projectors via bluetooth (this can be done, on a jailbroken iPad, Youtube it) and then they can be used as mini-whiteboards that can be passed to the students or carried around, allowing the lesson to be delivered from anywhere. One thing I cannot see happening is using the IWB as an input. And one device per child is a completely different conversation!

4. I would guess that you were using an iPad 1 as I also have this issue. However the 2 (and I imagine the 3) can project just like a PC

5. Rustybug, in answer to your first question - the iPad can project things on to the main screen using a connecting cable just like a laptop. If your students were to have iPads, you can use an Apple TV (£99 - connected to your projector) to choose which of your students iPads to display on the IWB at any time.
    Third question - the iPad is actually not a great tool for students playing games against each other/the computer, mainly due to Flash issues that prevent access to sites such as MangaHigh - which will change with HTML5. For me, the iPad allows creativity within Maths, students have a greater variety of ways to demonstrate their learning; developing video content, creating mindmaps, building comic strips etc in a matter of minutes. It is also great for afl, Socrative (free app http://www.socrative.com/) allows students to provide great feedback from <u>any</u> web-enabled devices.
    I agree with cas38 about the IWB as an input to iPads, where do you think this would be useful? Apps like Splashtop Whiteboard or Doceri allow you to turn your iPad into a mobile IWB to be carried around the class in the way you describe, so you can teach from anywhere.

6. In response to Q2:
    This teaching app (mathstrainers) that you have downloaded can be used standalone (for practice or timed practice against the clock). However there is a feature that allows two persons to play head-to-head and yes, in this mode, they do each require either an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad device. This does not have to only be used in school: this could be used at home or anywhere (outside, on the bus, in the car...) where two people have one of these devices each.
    As far as I am aware there are schools that have class sets of iPod touch's or iPad's that could use this feature in a class setting - or individual pupils may be allowed to use their iPod touch's for this purpose. I am working on another app (probably to be named MathsTeacher) that will allow teachers to monitor, guide and control activity of the mathstrainers app in the classroom so that responsible and appropriate use is made of the app to encourage progression in numeracy.
    Connection between devices uses bluetooth so there is no need to allow connection to the school's network.
    Hope this helps
    Alex

7. Well, I'll only be using iPads in the classroom when they are part of the exam...
    cyolba, Ned Ludd's best mate :)

8. Try using an iPad app called NEARPOD. It's great! I've allready tried it and it's the answer if you are looking for an engaging environment. It's a learning tool that works with iPads, iPods or iTouchs.

Teachers can share presentations with their students and they can interact with them and receive the teachers assessment in real time.

Check it out here: http://www.nearpod.com/
    Their twitter is @nearpod.

Hope this helps you !

9. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I did a talk at the MA conference this Easter about using iPad in mathematics.
    Over the last couple of years, I have investigated the 1600 or so apps that claim to be about maths learning. Almost without exception, they are dire. So, we are currently creating an app for learning mathematics, called Beluga.
    It will be available in the summer and will be entirely free. We are covering the entire curriculum, from understanding what a number is to calculus, with a learning environment that students can learn mathematics through - rather than just practice questions, which is what most apps do.
    I have been blogging about the project, which you can read on our site:
    Part 1: Independent Learning has failed so far...
    Part 2: Working with the Brain
    Part 3: Why Touch?
    Part 4: Learning Analytics, Adaptive Learning and Artificial Intelligence

10. NEARPOD and Beluga
    I am really excited about these developments and the potential impact they will have in learning.
    NEARPOD appears to be working along the same line of thought as myself but for free and allowing teachers to create their own material. I have looked at the website and would love to hear more about the use in classroom. Does the technology have to be hooked up to the school network for an internet connection or is communications via bluetooth? Is there any sort of head-to-head challenge mode? How does it work when some students work much faster than others (i.e. differentiated work) - can pace adapt to the individual?
    Reading the Beluga material, again this seems a different approach at using the iPad technology - the app will adapt and work with the individual, allowing progression through Maths at their own pace. And it will hold a complete curriculum of Mathematics. I feel that this is an ambitious, adaptive approach that will provide a real use of the technology. It also draws on game-based learning, which is a motivator that pupils understand and engage with.
    I will be watching this develop keenly. I feel that there will be a step improvement in engaging with Maths and by this a similar improvement in success in the subject.

11. Of course this won't work. Yes - I'm contradicting myself. Pupils don't want to learn so the last thing they will do is to work on their games machines playing at Maths things when there are much more fun things they can play with available. After all practising Maths is hard work. We shouldn't be thinking of new ways to engage pupils in the classroom or elsewhere - they just aren't interested.
    On the other hand though, I have seen pupils who do actually care about their learning and are prepared to put in effort to succeed. These are the pupils we can work with. I've noticed that pupils from different backgrounds and cultures have different attitudes towards learning.
    If we can provide tools (and that is all that these things are) that can assist the teacher to allow interested pupils to move forward, then that must be a benefit. If they already have the hardware themselves there is no outlay - pupils should be allowed to earn the trust of the teacher to show that they are actually engaging with the material - if they don't then fine (no use of their mobile device in the classroom).
    In terms of drill apps: we see so many higher ability pupils at advanced levels in their Maths using their calculator for the most basic of sums: they may be able to understand the Maths but the pace of work is inhibited by their poor numeracy. It is so important at the earlier years to get pupils numerate and then to keep them numerate: there is a good argument for mental maths practice in the classroom - but differentiation is such a problem to organise (some are left unchallenged and others can't get off the ground). Using handheld devices for drill practice in the classroom makes some kind of sense to me: pupils will work together but independently of eachother at their own pace - with the proper monitoring features built into the devices to ensure they keep concentration, can get assistance when it is needed, can see progression to new levels (c.f. game play), and the teacher can record these results - then I see this as a powerful tool is a good teacher's armoury.
    Having looked at Nearpod - it is in "beta" and requires registration - I presume there is a central data server that contains all the lesson materials - it reminds me of Qwizdom but with iPads/iPods. I expect it will need a connection to the internet which has specific problems as well in our culture. Having also looked at Beluga's revision package, I am less heartened by the hype - but I like their ambition and intentions.

12. I would like to make the distinction between teaching and practising skills. I believe teaching and learning is something for teachers and pupils - technology can be used to improve communication and engagement.
    For practising skills however, I feel that technology can be used very successfully to maintain and improve numeracy levels.

13. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

You need to do a bit of adding and subtracting too ... (depending - I tend to add the three darts and then subtract from the running total). You then need to keep track of whose go it is and what the scores are. There is also the social interaction element of playing nicely together.

Then you need to know that you need to have an even number when the total required is low. And then working out which double you need. As someone with good numeracy, but who rarely plays darts nowadays, I am always incredibly impressed when the commentator says something like: "so, treble 18, single 7 and double 10 to finish".

Clearly decimals and place value won't work, but darts is not to be underestimated.

14. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Well obviously, since you're developing and promoting your product on here.
    But sorry, I just don't believe it.
    The best way to practice maths is with pen(cil) and paper. That way there's a trail that can be examined when things go wrong.
    I've yet to see an "app" (and the ones illustrated on your website certainly don't do this) that capture the "workings out". At best they have an answer box (like MyMaths), at worst a multi-guess option (common with Quizdom and with your app).
    So great, the app can capture how many questions have been asked and how many have been answered correctly. (Yes, a boon to marking.)
    But, without a great deal of thought and planning, (something I've yet to see in these apps as most are randomly generated for good reason), the "wrong" answers will never allow a teacher to identify why the answers were wrong.
    And the right answers won't actually show you that the kid actually knows what they're doing. The kid may have worked out a strategy to eliminate many, perhaps all, of the "wrong" answers without actually being able to find the correct one.

15. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I think there is an important point missing here... People appear to be assuming that all kids have a good maths teacher, or indeed have a maths teacher at all. Across the world, millions of children have no access to teachers. So handing them the opportunity to learn mathematics independently is important. The tech is not replacing good teachers - they will always critically analyse any resource and deploy it as appropriate. But let's not write off the millions that don't get to engage with good maths teachers.

16. Two points, tandy.
    1) Can you see the ever - increasing amount of stuff available via the interwebby thing etc as being a threat to teachers' jobs? We already have HLTAs and CSs covering long term absence. What with the reduction in funding at all levels, I can foresee a time when a Maths dept will consist of a couple of "proper" teachers for the crucial classes and a load of computers, iFads etc for the rest.
    2) Are you suggesting that, in some parts of the world, kids have regular access to the interwebby thing and expensive kit like iFads, but no teachers?
    cyolba, using a tablet as a clipboard :)

17. In response to statement that I'm promoting my own developments: yes - true. But I am developing apps for a positive contribution to learning and teaching. I remember when IWB's were being introduced at our school - teachers were wondering how they would cope with the new technology and what about when the network went down.
    The use of presentation software, IWB's, graphical maths software (e.g. GeoGebra), MyMaths, mathsrevision.com, Flash games that can be used for developing problem solving skills, Wolfram demonstrations to engage and stir curiousity in learners, the quality material produced by mathcentre.ac.uk, and YouTube, and teachers-tv, Ten Quick Questions,... the list goes on.
    I would like to promote technology only when it is of assistance to teachers and learning. I do believe that unlike Ti-'s calculators, the functionality provided by Apple's mobile devices (I wish to take iPhones out of the argument) can provide a new and exciting experience for classrooms - and some schools have already invested in the hardware so why not suggest uses for it.
    Is there no place for electronic pieces of paper that can be examined at any time by the teacher, without having to physically go round the class? I think that is the way it should go - and with iPads and bluetooth, the technology is there.

18. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

1. There will always be a need for good teachers

2. Yes, this is absolutely the case. And with $50 dollar tablets available, this is increasingly true.

19. No. Computers can practice endlessly - some children love these sorts of things because they never get fed up or impatient, they can practice without feeling stupid if they can't do it.
    What they can't do is teach (mostly) - beyond very simple things that you learn directly. Times tables for example, or French verbs or resistor colour codes. You can't "understand" these things, you just have to learn them.
    Now, it is likely that *** in government may try it. We had one of these in ICT with the all bells and whistles software system that didn't just mark what you'd done, it (somehow) understood what you were doing (using basic office stuff) and adjusted it and marked it reliably.
    I said from the start it wouldn't work - because it's almost impossible, and eventually after wasting vast sums they (quietly) admitted what a good programmer would know instinctively.
    Another failed example is the marking essays by keyword. This doesn't work because the fact that there is a correlation between the marks and the language and/or phrases does not mean that you can use them to generate marks.
    Computers are **** at things which require intuition - which you or I do instinctively. Why is this painting good ?
    Or a really simple example, getting a computer to recognise an object when it is presented to you at any angle - you have a cup, spin it round in your hands it is still a cup. Computers cannot do this (or to be precise it's right at the edge of technology).

20. Have you ever actually used a $50 tablet ?