1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oil workers to be come teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Flere-Imsaho, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. Of course, their "industry" experience might put them on a track to fast promotion.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Don't they have to have a pastoral side and be good at working with children? What a numpty I am. I'm clearly out of date with this modern version of teaching.

4. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

or the holidays? only 12 weeks instead of 26!

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Or what a class of 30 teenagers last period in the day is like?

6. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

You cannot be serious???

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure that I am. I've seen and heard SMTs being very impressed by "industry experience".

8. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

I happen to know just such an oil worker! Does he want to deal with all the nonsense a teacher does (of which he is fully aware) for less pay? Hmmm...

He also (out of curiosity) decided to investigate if he could sign up. Turns out all he could find were press releases about how this amazing initiative would solve the unemployment and teacher shortage problems at once.

9. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Was in industry for 20 years before becoming a "Sir".
    Nobody but nobody, least of all SMTs, even know this, never mind are impressed by it.
    Industry experience is irrelevant to teaching, although it got me straight to the top of the payscale. Maybe it was relevant then . . .

10. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

Same here. No one is interested in you industrial experience. If anything, they are hostile to it. Can you imagine all the experienced engineers putting up with being patronised by some wean of a FT just barely out of uni? Happened to me a few times, and I they fall out with me, taking huffs. No chance of promotion because you are over thirty.

11. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Agree with everything above and more, when applying for an acting post in school I was told that my management experience and MBA did not really count as they were "not really management, er I mean not real experience, you will find that there are real managers in school" this line was quoted to me by what I can only say is the poorest excuse for a HT that I have ever meet.

12. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

Management doesn't really like people with industry experience, because (I think) people with industry experience are less likely to tolerate bull than those of us who went directly from school to uni to college to school.

13. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

I hope it gets more recruits than the 28 that Services to Teaching got.

14. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Isn't it sad that we encourage our pupils to develop 'transferable skills' and be prepared to change careers 3 or 4 times in their working lives yet those who have done the very same thing before coming into teaching are marginalised by management when it comes to promotion. Personally I think they feel threatened and value 3 months as an acting FH more than 10 years management in industry. I know it all depends on the quality and relevance of previous experience but the very fact that they have changed career demonstrates a capacity to embrace change and genuinely transfer existing skills, especially people skills which can be sadly lacking the further up the greasy pole you go. Personally I don't think anyone should be at any school in the same role for longer than 10 years, after that you are simply treading water, time to move on.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

There are "managers" in charge of people that I wouldn't put in charge of a dug.

There are a disproportionate amount of these in schools.

Moderation in Moderation.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's odd that we all have different experiences! I've seen ex-industry managers promoted very quickly in schools - some doing a very good job and some lacking the expertise to really lead a faculty.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  17. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Yes, I'm genuinely surprised that outsiders are taken seriously by school management fascists.

18. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

So, According to milky bar kid no one should be in a job more than ten years, time to move on he says. What total
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    this is. Or would you tell an experienced doctor, surgeon, lawyer or God forbid a politician to pack it in and get do something else after ten years. Or what about an experienced politician? Or what about a concert pianist to take another example. Just think for a moment and you will see what drivel you are talking. Your views are part of what is wrong in education where teachers, who have qualified in a subject, suddenly discover or imagine that they have undiscovered abilities in all fields of endeavour, get promotion to some non job then suddenly achieve a level of wisdom previously undetected and start telling the rest of us where we are going wrong. What's wrong with developing nexpertise in the job you were atually supposed to have been trained for? Schooa are full of people who think they know it allmost of whom were absolutely useless as classroom teachers anyway.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  19. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Just read the
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    you have written
    You will find that most surgeons, lawyers or politicians change there job every few years (have your heard about a cabinet reshuffle?), no one said they should change their career, try thinking before you insult people, I did. Other industries have real career development and training. I know a few surgeons and they are constantly moving hospital, learning (most appear to bounce back and forth from Australia and NZ to the UK) what we have is a maths/English/history etc teacher that have moved to a school sit in the class and move back out 30+ years later. That can not be good for them, the school or the pupils. Any good company I have worked for has tried to move peoples role after 3yrs. It keeps them fresh, keeps them learning and you have a flexible workforce. Schools are different, there are less roles to move to.

Look around your school how many teachers are 20+ years in the 1 role? do we really think that is good?

MilkyBar Kid and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

There is a perfectly valid argument for teachers to, eg, move schools every so often. Staleness does creep in. I'd hate to have thought I'd have been teaching my subject in the same school for 10 years, never mind 40.

Related, maybe tenuously, is Pastoral Care teachers who have spent most of their lives in school dispensing careers advice to young people. That has never sat well with me.

Moderation in Moderation.