1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oil leak

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

My car has an oil leak, nothing else wrong with it but is definitley leaking, leaving a little spill on the road where I park. It is a Y reg, so about 10/11 years old and runs with no issues, passed it's MOT a couple of months ago.
    Am going to take it to my garage at the weekend, but anyone got any advice or any idea what I'm looking at in terms of repair costs?

Thanks for any replies

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

My car has an oil leak, nothing else wrong with it but is definitley leaking, leaving a little spill on the road where I park. It is a Y reg, so about 10/11 years old and runs with no issues, passed it's MOT a couple of months ago.
    Am going to take it to my garage at the weekend, but anyone got any advice or any idea what I'm looking at in terms of repair costs?

Thanks for any replies

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends where it's leaking from, and the amount that's coming out.

The cheapest problem would be a worn sump nut that simply needed replacing. More expensive would be if a seal around a rotating shaft has worn, in which case things will need dismantling so that would involve more labour time. Fairly expensive is a rocker gasket replacement, but those problems tend to manifest themselves in a different way.

When you mentioned the pool of oil in the parking place you made me quite nostalgic for my classic VW camper - that was like its little trademark ;-)

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What colour is it?

5. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

The colour of the oil is black, like I said it runs fine and hasn't overheated or anything, just a random patch of oil where I park!

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I meant the car, but either way it doesn't matter. I was just trying to make the point that without much more information it's impossible to offer any meaningful advice.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Either this
    you should only bother sorting it out if it embarrasses you, oil leaks are not a big deal, easily the cheapest option is to top it up now and then, considering the general levels of pollution in the environment it is a minor problem. We ran a car that left a trail for several years. I poured washing up liquid on the street outside when it rained and the black patches washed away. Same in the school car park. Do you have any watercourses locally that you value?
    OR
    Crankshaft seal £10-15 plus £300 fitting would be my guess. Out of curiosity let us know what the garage quotes.

8. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

It does indeed mean a lot, where the leak is coming from - bit one things is for sure, do not take the care to a garage and say 'fix it'. Let them give you a quote first, and tell you what the problem is. If it is cheap, go ahead and get it done, but if the quote seems silly, come back on here and we may be able to help.