1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oil central heating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

there are price comparisons for a KWh.
    I don't know the figures, but i do know that our oil costs are a fair bit less than our gas costs used to be.

2. Yes. massively. particularly as it is linked to politcal issues and prices can soar at the drop of a bomb...[​IMG]

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oil is expensive and there's no regulatory body to govern it's price, like there are for gas and electricity. The price can vary widely from week to week.
    LPG is also hideously expensive. I've used both systems and another problem is running out during a cold snap. I ran out of gas during a cold snap two years ago and the roads were so icy and snowed up that the gas company couldn't get to me to deliver!
    No, I'd go for mains gas any day if I could.
    We have oil because we are rural and there is no mains gas.

4. Mum has it - her supplier's pretty good in running around topping up all their customers when the price drops temporarily and the like and she just pays an average amount they adjust over each month like you'd do with gas or eleccy.
    Last winter it got so cold that the oil in the pipes froze going into the house, the boiler is forever acting up and before they installed a sensor in the tank that rings the depot if they're running low - we had the very nice winter of no one checking the tank and us runnign out the day before Christmas.