1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ohh hard questions!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicholaj69, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Our topic this term is polar regions- we have started to look at the south pole. Now my reception constantly ask questions and hit me with these two today! if we dig down enough Miss Jordan will we reach the south pole? and do ppl on the south pole live upside down?
    How do i explain these????

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Count your lucky stars that the chilren are savvy enough to be curious

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well you could show them a globe and they can work out where they would come out the other side if they dug straight through from England? And then work discuss if it is possible or not and what you would find while you were digging?
    And would the globe help with the other question? Stick plasticine people all over the globe and ask if they are living upside down or not, and move the globe around and have some discussions?

They did space in our reception class last year. One child (considered average by the teacher) was asking why the planets went round the sun, why they didn't just disappear off somewhere else. The teacher couldn't answer. That was a jolly good question. Think of the gravitational pull of the sun to answer it. Some of these children are cleverer than you think.
    I really don't envy you grading children on KUW; you'd have to have fabulous all-round KUW yourselves to accurately grade a child, and who has that. No-one I know.