1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OH

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by suzanneaustralia, Jan 25, 2020.

1. suzanneaustralia

suzanneaustralia New commenter

Hello,

I have been off work since beginning of December and was admitted to hospital. I seem to be recovering and was planning to go back to work on Monday phased return as agreed by HT. I have received OH nurse report on Friday to say that I am not fit to return and need OH doctor assessment. I am presuming that I wont be insured to go against OH advice.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's not about insurance but about whether you are fit to work!

OH don't normally issue the formal sick notes ('Fit Note') that employers require to confirm you are not fit to work. That's issued by your GP (or hospital). Has your GP sick note expired?

If GP says you are fit for work but OH nurse report says otherwise you need to contact your GP and ask their advice.

lrw22 and will_osweighton like this.
  3. suzanneaustralia

suzanneaustralia New commenter

Sick note until Monday but GP thought I was well enough to return as per phased return plans when discussed a few days ago. Presume I will need to get sicknote extended and follow decision of OH?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

As I see it OH aren't in a position yet to make any reasonable adjustments.

I wouldn't go in on Monday. Email OH report to HT to explain and say that you're getting an emergency appointment with GP. Try to anyway. Don't panic. You can always self-certificate.

Yes, OH will have to get their act together to allow your safe return. I take it that you can't just go back and carry on as you were so they are doing the right thing. You won't get into trouble. They've told you not to return. I dare say it's a frightful inconvenience for everybody but tough. It is what it is. I'd hope OH has kept HT in the loop but dot all the is and cross all the ts.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you feel able to return, your GP is happy for you to return and your head has met with you and agreed the adjustments needed, then there is no reason not to return. OH don't make the decision about returning to work, merely advise on any phased return and adjustments needed. If these have all been agreed, then there is nothing more for OH to do. OH only advice, no-one (employer or employee) has to abide by their advice.

Your GP cannot extend a sick note as they don't believe you are unfit for work.
    Email your head and ask them...they may have received the same note from the OH nurse.

starlightexpress likes this.
  6. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Why is an OH nurse advising differently to your GP? OH largely go by the content of the meeting/ call with you? Have you advised the OH nurse of reasons why not fit to work?

I guess it’s a case of you returning to GP and aligning on the view of whether you are fit to work or not. A nurse surely is less medically qualified than a GP to make this determination? If GP judges you fit to work, with phased return that’d be the view I’d take, seeking OH and HR advice on how this might be supported.

OH typically advise on reasonable adjustments. I’ve never known statement around fitness to work being made by OH.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Which appears to have been the discussion last week, ready to return this Monday.
    Can't see any reason to remain off work.

starlightexpress likes this.