1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh, ***!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Karvol, May 28, 2011.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I suggest you send them an email with your apologies for not attending.

2. LOL Karvol - that's an excellent idea :)

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Brilliant!

I was suitably amazed by a 1.5 hour session on how to use the new photocopier, but your tale easily trumps this. Maybe if you are really lucky they will arrange an inset on netiquette.

4. middle east????

5. Yep.

6. juakali

juakali New commenter

That's really useful Yas, thanks. *** to the spelling.

I like the sound (no pun intended) of "The biggest development technologically speaking for adults is the
    further development of real time captioning for use in conferences and
    lectures. That is making a big difference in the independence of deaf
    students as they don't need to be tied to a notetaker or interpreter." Is this where the computer picks up a voice and the computer prints what is being said on the screen? I am looking for ways to better include deaf (and/or blind) kids in mainstream education, mostly using IT. I am currently putting together a small project to see if braille embossed keyboards, used with a screen reader, will help blind kids to learn braille faster (as well as having the collatoral benefit of teaching them keyboard skills, some IT and how to use a screen reader).
    What about lip reading? Is this something that could be learned with software do you think?
    M

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

You are welcome Juakali! Speech reading (lip reading) is something that would be very difficult to teach with technology I think. THe reason for this is that every individual has a unique speech pattern which manifests itself differently on the lips. For example, even a very competent speech reader would have a period of readjustment when they are receiving input from a new person as they then have to learn the new person's lip patterns. Speech reading is one cue that deaf people use but even the most brilliant speech reader would mis sup to 75% of what was being conveyed if using speech reading alone (or so the research says).
    As for the real time captioning, yes, the voice is picked up by computer and the content is almost immediately available on the large screens that are used in the conference area or lecture hall. THis is also then available to be printed out as notes. It used to be difficult for deaf students if they didn't get on with their notetaker or interpreter as when a human being is involved, everything is so subjective. This obviates the need for that and gives deaf students so much more autonomy.
    THere is something new just out but I have to admit my mind was elsewhere when ze boss was talking about it at our last meeting! We have a team meeting this afternoon though so I will ask her about it and get back to you on it.
    My feeling is, for deaf students, if they each had a laptop and the teacher was au fait with technology (I say this as all the year 7's at my daughter's school have laptops but they don't get assignments nor submit them electronically, the text books are all loaded onto the laptop but the teachers still want to use the books and nothing is really done using the advantage of the technology) then I think it would be a very effective tool for the students.
    Podcasts could be loaded onto the computers for the students to access in their own time, films and videos also (deaf students have a really hard time taking notes whilst watching a film or video as they can't just look at waht they are writing and still get the same aural input because they need to use visual cues so much. So for them to be able to stop and start a video, take notes then start it again, watch the next bit, stop it, take notes etc., would be so valuable for them but it is something that is difficult to do in class as it interupts the flow for the rest of the kids.
    Also, again if people had the will and were organized enough, advance copies of the outline of a lesson would make such a difference to deaf students. If they are tuned in, in advance, it is so much easier for them to extract meaning from a lesson.
    I went to a conference not so long ago where someone was talking about the apps he uses for his students on the iPad. If you want to PM me your email address, I could dig out the material and scan it to you.

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/viewProduct.do?id=3403701
    This is a link for earhooks that pick up the 'T' setting on hearing aids and attach to ipods or other MP3 players so that kids get a better quality of sound without having to turn the volume up.
    Also, I have passed on your queries to a friend who works in the deaf/blind field. She lives in Perth which is over the other side of the country so I have to rely on email but hopefully she can suggest something for you.
    Good luck with it on good on you for getting involved!!

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

http://teachinglearnerswithmultipleneeds.blogspot.com/
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/24470331/iPhone-iPad-and-iPod-touch-Apps-for-Special-Education
    THis second link has all the apps listed that I was going to scan to you. Pretty comprehensive.

10. My current school held an entire 2 weeks of interactive whiteboard training last summer. The annoying thing was we all knew how to use them and the school only had 1 interactive whiteboard between 20 teachers. It seemed like a waster of time for us as the training was useless anyway and we didnt get paid for those 2 weeks either! lmao... quite funny when you look back on it.