1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh what a feeling ............and, what was it like for you!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by MrSaturday, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Wonderful post, seasoned, and, thank - you, too...…...

2. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

I retired August 31st and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Financially, I planned towards it for about 15 years, so that I could leave at 55 and try something new.
    My pension means that I need to earn a bit each month really - or I have no spare money.
    That's fine. I've set up my own gardening business and it's just wonderful to be totally in charge of when you work (weather permitting:)) or even if you choose to work. I take one to four days off each week.
    I've also applied for some exam invigilating work and a couple of part time postie jobs - am assuming the gardening work will dry up a lot during the winter. Not heard anything yet.
    When not working I spend my time doing DIY or my own garden at home, running, cycling, swimming and hiking - or watching TV... all things I've done throughout my life but can now do with far less time pressures. Even if I live to 100 I won't regret "hanging on" for another 5 years to get a better pension. One of the best decisions of my life, I believe. So far so good, that's for sure!

3. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

*I mean "NOT hanging on"

4. Rach05

Rach05 New commenter

Congrats to you all!! Can I join you please?..Love this forum/ thread.. I'm going 31st Aug 2020!!

Jamvic and eljefeb90 like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I'd decided a year in advance, and even tipped my HoD off. It is a great feeling to go though all the "this is the last time I have to..." moments.

Shedman, Jamvic and Rach05 like this.
  6. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Yes, me too… although I didn't tell anyone until Easter... As EYFS/KS1 Leader, this time last year it was "Reading and Phonics evening workshops for parents" and starting to plan the Xmas Show/Pantomime for 200 kids and their parents. It went really well - and I just loved all the "Crikey, it's going to be hard for you to follow that next year" etc. comments (knowing what I knew in my head):D
    My wife always says I'm a drama queen - and she's right.

Jamvic, tall tales and Rach05 like this.
  7. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Good luck Rach05... I found the last year probably the most enjoyable of the final 20 years... mainly because I knew that whatever OFSTED/ PRMGT/Lesson observations "said", I was more or less untouchable. Didn't want to end on bad terms - but it certainly took the pressure off. I remember saying to the DH..."I must have been observed over 50 times over the last 20+ years - and I've never "failed" one yet, can I just be left to get on without them?"... You can imagine the reply (something to the effect of "ah, but that doesn't matter if you do badly on this one"). What a sick joke the observation culture has become in a lot of schools. I don't miss that one bit.

Piranha, Jamvic and eljefeb90 like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I found the last year to be exactly what I needed it to be: a confirmation that I was right to be leaving my job aged 57 (despite the fact that I could have done with 3 more years of salary and years in pension). From the start of the year onwards,I have a long list of things that confirmed it was time to go.I did not enjoy the year but I have no regrets.

9. Rach05

Rach05 New commenter

Thank you Treacle3! It will be a bit of an odd year I think but I am definitely ready to go!! :)

10. jencobr

jencobr New commenter

We have just had Ofsted under the new framework and have to say it wasn't as bad as I first thought. Check out this video as a checklist for your school!

11. meister

meister New commenter

I think this may be in the wrong thread...!!! Or wrong sub board altogether!!!

12. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

The observation and accountability culture is so wearing. Looking back, it is the worst aspect of teaching in schools and has ruined what should be a great job. You are not trusted, so even the best of us try to deflect blame and watch our backs. It has a corrosive effect on staff relations so that if 'support' is being given to another teacher or department, you shamefully feel glad that it's not you. It has led to a bullying culture in a lot of schools in which you feel you can never do enough.

Shedman and Jamvic like this.
  13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

It's all very well for me, I suppose , as I was a HoD with nearly 35 years' service, so my pension was enough for us to live on even with the 12% reduction. Comparing what the full amount would be was a false comparison in my case. No way was I going to stick another year, never mind three! I wasn't even aware that I wouldn't start 'losing out ' financially until my seventies. And I have never had even one second of regret. I got my life back and gladly waved goodbye to a stressful and exploitative workplace.

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

No way José!

I can’t say it better than...

...this..

...this...

...this...

...and definitely this...

I’m sure Treacle3 meant ‘not hanging on’ :D.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Is your countdown calendar up and running?

Jamvic, catmother and Rach05 like this.
  16. brook123lyn

brook123lyn New commenter

Me too! My husband and I are both going next Summer (58 and 57) I have a clock on an app which is counting down the days but already the last time of doing things ( particularly stressful exams feedback meetings ) is so rewarding in itself. I will miss the students but feel so tired ! Can't wait for a new chapter - trying to focus on being our best selves for the transition - eating and exercising etc. look forward to keeping in touch with you all on here. You have given us so much support already.

Jamvic, eljefeb90 and frangipani123 like this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I thought I'd miss the students too but I don't. Start your retirement with the thought that you are a retired person and not an ex-teacher. The teacher bit is now irrelevant and when you finish work it is a fresh start. You're already planning for your retirement in terms of health and diet so start expanding on those things you've always wanted to do like travel, sports, hobbies or even just slobbing about. The time will be yours to spend as you wish so just enjoy it. Many younger colleagues will never have the opportunity to retire aged under 60 or possibly 70.

Jamvic, eljefeb90, porcgi and 2 others like this.
  18. Rach05

Rach05 New commenter

Haha yes it is!! :)

Attached Files:

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

To the very second! I'm impressed.

Rach05 likes this.
  20. Rach05

Rach05 New commenter

I may also be purchasing this item in the summer... :)

Attached Files:

Shedman and Jamvic like this.