1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh what a feeling ............and, what was it like for you!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by MrSaturday, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gl650dude

gl650dude New commenter

I retired 5 years early, that was over 3 years ago and I've never regretted a single nano second!! I am guessing that nearly all of your pension will be calculated on the old NPA60 scheme and so the recent pay increase would not have had much bearing on your pension. You should find that the "best 3 years in the last 10" calculation will give you a final salary similar to where the recent pay increase takes your salary to anyway. Don't let it bother you, I doubt you're missing out financially, just enjoy the freedom!! You can always pick up some supply work if you feel like it or, look for part-time work elsewhere. I do invigilating with a local university which I really enjoy. Happy retirement!!

bonxie, eljefeb90 and MrSaturday like this.
  2. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Brilliant post and apologies for the delay in response: You have summed it all perfectly gl650dude and indeed your 'practical' financial guess work is pertinent and 'spot on'. I am a 'worrier' of sorts and unashamedly was frightened a tad of the now pending 'unknown'. However your comments only consolidate my initial thoughts and decision about early retirement and are indeed, like so many other thoughtful submissions on here - an inspiration in parts.
    Thank you again...………………………...

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

After 14 months of retirement I have given up on the idea that retirement should be 'worthy'. Every day filled with some meaningful activity like reading, gardening, swimming, exercising, volunteering and so on.

I still do many of these activities but if a day passes where I've just slobbed out browsing TES or playing computer games I just don't feel guilty about it anymore. There's always tomorrow or the day after or the day after that. Today's a case in point. there's a lot I could be doing - housework, gardening or a hobby but I've thought s *d it, it's just too hot to be messing about and I can catch up with my jobs when it's cooler or raining.

Once you've got over the guilt of not doing something worthy then simple pleasures like watching TV become far more enjoyable. Just think of all the time you wasted at work doing stuff you hated like marking or writing worthless documents that few if any would ever read. Now that really was a waste of time because although you got something done, what you achieved was for the benefit of someone else like your students, SLT or Ofsted and the only pleasure you got was when it was done. Slobbing out without guilt is a worthwhile and very enjoyable activity - indulge at every opportunity. You're not wasting your time, you're enjoying it!

bonxie, bevdex, lardylegs and 7 others like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I never felt guilty about those things,so retirement is what I was born for! So far,so amazing!

piglet171 and smoothnewt like this.
  5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Established commenter

You sum it up perfectly, Shedman, it’s not necessary to be always doing “worthy” things. Sometimes, just doing very little is just the ticket - no guilt required!

MrSaturday, smoothnewt and Shedman like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Retirement does not change a lot of things (e.g. aging parents) but it does give you that freedom to do what you want to do the rest of the time. I actually like to have plenty to do, hence the running, music, volunteering etc. But I never feel guilty about the lazy days when I just slob about the house. The most important thing to do is decide what is best for you, and don't let others tell you that you are wrong. Or tell others who make different choices that they are wrong.

I went just over a year early, four years ago. No regrets!

bonxie, eljefeb90 and MrSaturday like this.
  7. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Its been a pleasure and an inspiration in parts [sincerely] reading these posts...…………..keep em coming ………….

8. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

What retirement gives you is the headspace to work out solutions and the time to take appropriate action. Be that sorting out a family difficulty or fixing something around the house.Instead of putting things on the back burner and having them nag away at you or letting people down owing to work commitments, even when something bad happens, you have the time to deal with things. You aren't frazzled and rushed after a long day at the chalk face.
    I was reflecting this morning ,how, when at work, I got into the habit of muttering to myself in the shower, mentally ticking off the numerous things I had to complete over the day, having woken up at 5 a.m. with a start after 5 -6 hours sleep. And I accepted this as the norm. Those days are thankfully long gone and good riddance to them.

Master59, bonxie, BelleDuJour and 3 others like this.
  9. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

So perfectly true, eljefeb90, and. so perfectly put.
    Thanks for sharing ………………….

eljefeb90 likes this.
  10. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Any other tales always welcome...………………..love to hear how you are all getting on with whatever...…….

11. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

just back from a 2000 mile cycle through europe ( 2 months), now recovering the garden, gym, hill walking and still using the bike when possible. Mid October, off to warmer places in the med for 6 weeks until end of November. After that decorating, U3A, gym, walking etc etc. Life is very good at this moment and most of the things we do are low cost. Now into year 2 and it seems to get better as the "job" works it's way out of your system.

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wow! That's all very impressive, heldon! You sound very fit and active, and organised and focused...:eek:

Am most envious!

I don't ride bikes or hill walk. Or go to the gym, so I can't adopt that lifestyle.:rolleyes: