1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh what a feeling ............and, what was it like for you!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by MrSaturday, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Finish up at the end of June [Scotland, obviously]: 34+ yrs - although its still technically an early retirement:
    Any 'stories', reflections, shared experiences, emotions of what life was like in the first year after you all went?
    Love reading 'what you do with your day etc' on here and all the ventures / adventures people start to embrace.

And, one other wee question! Anybody on here regret going early? I'm now taking [Well, I think - I am - a wee bit of a financial 'hit' with the recent pay rise but hey ho .........................] and that is a bugbear of sorts but I hd decided I was leaving before it was finalised.

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts................

Morgelyn, Startedin82 and borges33 like this.
  2. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement! You get a substantial tax free lump sum and a guaranteed inflation -proof income for life without ever having to get up early and put up with all the many negatives of teaching. I left three years early and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Je ne regrette rien.

bevdex, Shedman, emerald52 and 9 others like this.
  3. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

After 2.5 months absolutely no regrets! No stress, great sleep! Do what I want and go where I want, when I want. Started with a 2 week holiday. Currently doing maintenance & DIY that I had no time or energy for when teaching. Just painted the main reception rooms to my own (and my wife's) high standard while saving the after tax cost of paying someone else! Decluttering and reorganising. Getting on top of the garden, Having time for my spouse, young adult children and ageing parents! Taking short hotel breaks midweek, out of term time. Starting to write articles, give talks and write a book on local history. Variety is the spice of life when done at your own pace!

4. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Why waste your precious time working when you have worked for this and taken a financial hit every month to pay for it. Have a fantastic time and enjoy every moment.

5. maz403

maz403 New commenter

Three years in this Summer - no regrets at all. 34 years + teaching.
    Reading, walking, painting, travel ( Egypt, Turkey, Spain, Cyprus, Malta - all at off peak prices), being a lady who lunches, spending time with daughter and granddaughters. First year I was a bit manic trying to do everything double speed. Nice now to have a lie in and relax more. Went at 56 and financially it’s been fine so far.
    Main thing is lack of stress at trying to keep up with all the new initiatives as the wheel turns yet again !

6. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

A sincere thanks for all these reply's: You have all clearly picked up on my 'stress' at the thought of retirement and isn't it indicative of how 'institutionalised' we have all become? Or I have become:
    Reading these posts and thoughtful retorts/advice/reflections/experiences are genuinely inspirational. Please keep them coming ...................................
    My bugbear/insecurity lay in going a few years early and missing out on the benefits of the recent pay rise: The 'quality' of the responses on here have been more than helpful and positive and I 'needed' to read that..............

7. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

3 months and counting, it’s absolutely fantastic, cannot imagine teaching in any capacity ever, ever again, going to Dubai and South Africa in September- unbelievably cheap flights- which is one of the many bonuses. No regrets at all. Teaching in your 50s is tough and I’m not a teacher anymore.

jlishman2158, Morgelyn and eljefeb90 like this.
  8. Sharpie123

Sharpie123 New commenter

Nearly a year for me and not a single regret. Thought I might want to do supply but nope ~ I quickly realised I never wanted to go into a classroom ever again. I haven’t signed up for volunteering etc but manage to easily fill my days by doing ‘something’ every day ~ that could be meeting a friend, going to London ~ or just having a walk.

I have travelled a lot (OH finished at Xmas) but have found that, although we spend more on travelling than we thought, we spend far less on day to day living than we expected.

I did decide to do exam marking this year as I’m short on my NI from living abroad as the good people of this forum advised me I could reduce my contributions if I were self employed. I’ve done it before ~ two days in and it isn’t too bad. Pay is about £20 ph ~ better than invigilation but not as good as supply.

I have family commitments ~ son living abroad, grandchild on the way, mum in care home ~ and I really appreciate the time and headspace to focus on what’s really important. I did worry about about how it would be, but I love it.

9. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Some great posts .................keep em' coming.............................

10. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

Six months now: absolutely no regrets!
    A little bit of supply now and again to top up, and amazingly, have enjoyed this too. It is such a wonderful feeling having time to do things at a leisurely pace. I really don't miss: the 60-70 hrs a week of being a class teacher, or the planning, or the tri-coloured marking, the ever-increasing data requirements, the observations, the scrutinies, the report writing... etc, etc. Oh, and the adherents of snake-oil and bandwagons, the SLT!!
    Often, I am busy doing nothing these days, and thoroughly enjoying it!

11. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

A little 'bump': Any mores stories to share?

12. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

I can’t really add much more to what has already been said. Being away from the daily grind, the ridiculous hours and the nonsensical directives is truly liberating!

13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Sitting here having a coffee and some biscuits left over from the Spanish lesson I give to my U3A group while looking at the robin and blue t**s on the feeders.Hmmm..shall I get the strimmer out in an hour or two ? Perhaps not, still getting over our glorious victory at the pub quiz last night and the cycling I did yesterday. Just jotting down a shopping list for tomorrow afternoon's barbeque. Saturday is the music festival then a week kayaking in Scotland.
    And , do you know what? I deserve it and you deserve it. This is payback for all the stress, long hours and lack of pay. Recompense for the lack of sleep, the tetchy moods and the lack of a social life.
    It's having the time for hobbies and other people after all those years of turning down invitations and skimping on the people that matter to you.

bevdex, Shedman, emerald52 and 8 others like this.
  14. lynneseptember

One thing I do find slightly amusing/annoying is that certain members of the family can't seem to get over the fact I'm retired (not 60 yet) and seem to think I should be out looking for another job - aren't I bored, what do you find to do all day, etc, etc! The important thing is my husband is all for it, so that's what counts.

15. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Just over 6 years ago for me (I finished a maternity cover 2 weeks before the start of the summer holidays)...and still very clear in my memory: official 'goodbye' from staff at morning break, carried on teaching, finished with a Y8 lesson, returned my laptop to the IT dept, shook a few hands, hugged a colleague to two, then drove to watch a Friday night T20 under flood lights...my team won. Great day!:D

MrSaturday likes this.
  17. lynneseptember

Thanks, gaingcontrol . As I say, my husband supports me and is grateful to have the real me back, which got somewhat lost in the last few years I was teaching. Those family members can carry on with whatever thoughts they have, they're not me and don't really know the circumstances that drove me to get out.

bonxie, MrSaturday and Gainingcontrol like this.
  18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have 4 more get ups and not a hint of remorse or sadness.
    In fact....my last 4 working days cannot got fast enough!

19. lynneseptember

I bet you can’t wait, BelleDuJour. Only 3 more get ups! Yay! :D:D:p

BelleDuJour and MrSaturday like this.
  20. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Thanking you all again...………………..