1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh 'tis my delight on a Friday night...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Dec 19, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

...in the season of the year.

I adore game, and we eat it much more than other meats during the season. Tonight we're having venison cottage pie, with the meat cooked in the stock from yesterday's pheasant. It's cheap, too, if you don't go to a snotty place.

To anyone who hasn't tried game, have a go. Respect the cooking times, or you'll be left with dried out partridge or liverish pigeon.

bombaysapphire and primarycat like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Game is delicious. We eat it too.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've got a pheasant in the freezer. Must eat it between Xmas and New Year. I know we're having venison for NYE.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is it Friday already?

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ever so sorry but it's not. But it soon will be!

I got four pheasants at the market for a tenner last week and a load of other stuff for end-of-the-day knock-down prices. All beautiful quality.

needabreak likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I've nearly knocked a few wanderers over and only eaten game when out and it is prepared for me but never ventured to do so myself... Well except venison and the odd duck from the farm shop. Think the prep was shown on a cookery programme recently though, we've already ordered the road beast for Christmas so will be busy manhandleding that next week. Hope you enjoy your knock down bargains *hope it wasn't me that actually knocked them down. ;):D

nizebaby likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It's a farmers' market and they can't really take stuff back.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love game. Sadly our local butchers have closed down and the stall on the farmer's market hasn't been there for a while. There is a rumour that someone else will be taking over the empty shop in the new year.

One of our best buys were some small venison shanks. They were so tasty after a few hours in the slow cooker.

nizebaby likes this.