1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Oh the possibilities

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chelceig, Apr 27, 2016.

  1. chelceig

    chelceig New commenter

    I have two job interviews lined up with a week between both (first one is tomorrow and the second is may 5th). My experience in the school interview process is that with most places if they are only interviewing on one day that they tend to make offers for roles very shortly after interview. Ideally I would like to take the role for the position interviewing on may 5th...
    Though I don't want to ruin my chances with the school I will be interviewing for tomorrow by requesting an alternative interview date (are they even obligated to offer a new date??). If I am offered the role would it be unethical to ask for some time to think about it? (so that I can interview for the other role) Or should I tell them that I am waiting to hear from another school about an application??

    I am an over thinker, the other school is more favourable (better salary, preferred environment, more options for CPD) but I would like to be professional and diplomatic in the event I am offered a position tomorrow. What is the best way to handle such a situation?
     
  2. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    If you're going to be scrupulously honest then, were you to be offered the job tomorrow, you'd confess at once that you would like time to think about it. You'll let them know on May 5th.

    This happens all the time at this point in the academic year. The perennial vexed question that bedevils teachers. And it's always the preferred job that interviews last. Always!

    You can ask (nicely) for anything you like! Including a change of date for interview. Unless you are their massively favoured candidate on paper I doubt they'll accede.

    Other people would accept the first job, toddle off for the second interview and take it from there. It's your conscience and you have to decide. It is appallingly bad form to do what I have just described but it is nonetheless done by some.

    The best way? Be honest. You can't trip yourself up and nobody gets hurt. There will be dozens more of these dilemmas before half-term. Best wishes.
     
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    .

    Well, let's start with the double congratulations there! You have done well.

    The problem, the problem is . . . that May 31 is looming. Schools will be getting antsy that if they don't appoint and get it all accepted, their second choice will have got another job in the meanwhile as you consider your options.

    No, they are not obliged to offer a new date - why would they? And how unfair on other candidates.

    At some times of year you might get away with this. In May you are unlikely to, to be honest. Sorry to be putting such a damper on things!

    read this:

    Two interviews and a dilemma

    have you seen all the other interview advice? Tag me @TheoGriff if you need to be pointed in the right direction.

    Best wishes

    .
     
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    .

    I hope not!

    They could end up with no job at all !

    :(

    Best wishes

    .
     
  5. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    I've certainly known people toy seriously with the idea of doing it. I'm sure there've been a few on here who've tried to get some encouragement from the rest of us for such a course of action!

    They have not been indulged.
     
  6. ultimatedingbat

    ultimatedingbat Established commenter

    All you can do is ask to think about it. But if they ask you at interview,if we offer would you acceptyou have to answer it then and there
     
  7. scienceteachasghost

    scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

    Go to interview 1. It may exceed your expectations. If it doesn't and you seriously think you would be happier in 2 and are prepared to take the gamble of lose-lose, you are well lithin your rights to withdraw during 1
     
  8. Noja

    Noja Senior commenter

    You are worrying about a situation that hasn't happened...wait and see. You may not like it, you may love it, you may not be successful or you may be and the same goes for the other interview. Go and then decide if you are offered it. You can ask for time. My school has done that for a science teacher recently so it is possible.
     
  9. chelceig

    chelceig New commenter

    I know, I am quite the over thinker... that being said I would like to walk in having thought about any potential outcomes so that I am not shuffling if asked a question. I will attend the interview and hope for the best in any case... The proposed start date is June so I do have some time I believe. It's just that as I understand it there are no legal obligations for them to follow through on any verbal promises. So if offered the post they can change their mind ect.
     

Share This Page