1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

oh the joys of sunday afternoon...planning!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cinnamonsquare, Sep 11, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have not reached the Sunday planning stage yet; I am still firmly stuck in the Sunday procrastinating stage!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've got as far as turning my computer on! Can't seem to focus enough to do any planning and yet i HAVE to or i'll be very stuck tomorrow.

3. I'm just the same lillipad... easily distracted,rugby, formula 1, finding recipes for lamb shank... trying to decide whether to use my slow cooker or not (not used it in years!) and if I do whether to cook it today and reheat it tomorrow or try and do it in the moning added to that I am on here!
    Must be more organised!!! lol

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Haha, I followed the same pattern! Came to the pub for rugby this morning, stayed to watch F1, haven't left the pub yet!

5. Slow cooker dilema solved... the meat won't fit in!

6. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Back to the blank page. New planning format this year - only just got to grips with previous.
    5 groups for literacy so some will be doing independent work. Ha Ha!
    6 groups form maths ( some can already add 2 digit numbers and some are adding and
    counting within 10 AND getting their numbers the right way round but can't have an IEP because they were not on P scales last year)
    When are we going to play - constant cry for first few days.
    Oh the joys of Y2.

7. Oh the joys...of a complete mental block. I can't formulate anything that seems like a plan for maths! Got a vague idea for literacy. Oh well, at least we've got swimming everyday next week - one less lesson to plan everyday!! [​IMG]

8. With you there Ramjam. I think it's the new format that's been freezing my brain. and inclination! Still not got very far - think it's going to be a long long evening.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL my class did that as well... And 'where's the dressing up?'

Well planning for some days done...at least tomorrow and Tuesday is sorted. Maths and literacy for the week. The rest can wait.

10. I am Y2, but I have a couple of children on 1c who have IEPs (SA). They just scraped it though by the looks of it and are still struggling a lot. Is it a school policy not to let you put them on as we can put them on an IEP if they are 1c but really struggling.
    Mine did lots of 'can I play' too and also just going off and getting games out and listening to CDs, despite me explaining that's not how we work. In our school Y1 get an afternoon play, but not Y2 and some found this very difficult to accept too. I'm hoping it won't take too long to get them trained. It's the tap tap tap 'Mrs...' that I can't bear. Why do they feel they need to keep poking you to get your attention?! I'm sure it will settle down this week (here's hoping)

11. I teach in FE and students started back today. I am away all this coming weekend (daughter moving lock stock and barrel to the other end of the country for a new job and me and OH are moving her and all her worldly goods). I will therefore have no planning time whatsoever (and I normally do all mine at the weekend).
    Problem is, I have still to meet many of the classes and run diagnostics this week before I can really start planning next week's sessions.

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

surely if they need an IEP it's irrelevant whether they were on Pscales the year before? it's where the child is NOW, not last year.

13. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

I love your sane response.
    We have strange rules from our SEN advisor:
    More than 2-3 children with an IEP constitutes a group so are not SEN but a differentiated group - (even if their needs are different) so they should not have an IEP.
    Children who achieve L1 in Y2 can't have an IEP going into Y3, even if they only achieve L1 because of the "with support" set out in APP or because of the excellent
    teaching/ support they had in Y2.

14. This is my first post, so here goes.....! I absolutely cannot bear the tapping thing either. I currently have FS, but have worked throughout KS1 and it drives me nuts, that and being called 'teacher'! I find that if you turn around and gently tap them continuously on the shoulder whilst repeating their name, they tend to stop after a while!!
    And I am REALLY struggling with getting back into the swing of school life, very tired all the time and not feeling as creative and enthusiatic as usual! The darkening evenings don't help either! Ah well, five weeks and four days til half term!!

15. I'm with you on this! I feel like I just can't get going! Grr

16. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

I can't stand it Tapping a teacher. Hmm is that obsessive behaviour ergo Autistic spectrum!

17. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

My year 5's tap- aarrgggh! I trained by year 1's out of it last year, didn't expect to have to go through it again now!
    I must have blinked and missed Sunday altogether- I'm struggling to pitch lessons at the right level, get through the marking (let alone planning!) and worse... I'm still on KS1 time and I'm ready for break 20 mins before it arrives!

18. I had the exact same situation yest..down to the lamb shank recipe...odd! :)

19. Come on everyone, get a grip. Go and buy microwave dinners for all next week. Use the saved cooking time to do some marking, planning or prep. Make sure you get quality PPA. Heads have a duty to provide this. Use this time efectively......take shortcuts and download resources including planning and adapt it. Plan in chunks doing 2 to 6 weeks at a time. If you know what you want children to learn it's easier to do. Re-cycle & re-use old plans you always save on computer by changing dates! I left all my resources including planning on the school laptop and hope it is of use to the new teacher. Teaching literacy and numeracy doesn't change much each year and if you change year groups you can still use those plans for more or less able groups.

20. I know a teacher who does minimum planning and 'wings it' in her words. You see, I am not gifted and talented enought to do that : /
    However, would I want to .......... no!