1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh right, so it's all the teachers' fault then?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Nov 1, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I read that... gave it due consideration and thought.

Decided the man is a know-nothing idiot.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The article is a pile of nonsense. Teachers do not work long hours from feelings about guilt at not being perfect!
    But at times I do see a culture of workload martyrdom here where people compete to share the ridiculous workload and condemn those who do less.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

That's just downright insulting! So people choose to have unrealistic targets, expectations and results put on them do they?
    He's woefully out of touch.

Lalad, Dragonlady30 and drek like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Course he's out of touch @RedQuilt ... he works for OFSTED.

drek likes this.
  6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

"Teachers want their teaching to be never less than good, but what does that mean and can it realistically be achieved in every single lesson?"

Well it had better be, or else capability looms!

7. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

There are times when I am deeply grateful for the swear filters and restrictions on TES.
    My immediate reaction to the article would have offended many of the gentler souls on here.
    After due consideration and some time to let the clouds of steam evaporate I've decided that the opinion expressed in the article is complete and arrant nonsense and warrants no more than a discreet but heartfelt gesticulation

cherryaimless, lanokia and RedQuilt like this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Doh! Of course.

I wish people wouldn't print/publish things like the link in the OP. It just feeds the teacher-bashing minds of politicians, the press, Ofsted etc. Why won't someone actually write and publish a proper expose (sorry for missing accent)?

9. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

What!?

Why do the TES print such garbage :(

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Pays the bills?

NQT1986 likes this.
  11. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Hmm, I suppose so. Doesn't help our cause though.

Sorry to hear you're not teaching at the moment, Lanokia. I don't know what's happened, but have always enjoyed reading your posts on here-you've given some good advice.

lanokia likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Man's a fool

#thestupid

NQT1986 and lanokia like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh thank you @NQT1986

I appreciate that. [I'll confess, not entirely sure what happened myself]

NQT1986 likes this.
  14. drek

drek Lead commenter

Might because he has no idea how ofsted and dfe initiatives are passed on as demands onto teachers, from line managers. They expect us to work at home evenings and weekends. Why else would they say they expect to see this and that evidence by this Friday, when they know full well the time it would take over and above our own planning and teaching hours.
    I wonder if it is time to change the 1265 paid hours into an hourly rate. Watch how the demands suddenly fall off.
    If teach firsts are getting 25k per year then an 8 hour day working day (adding directed time and reasonable hours) equates to (25000/195)/8, equals to approx 16 pounds per hour, which gets paid in 12 equal pay instalments. and after 6 years that goes up to around 21 pounds an hour.
    But most teachers weather nqt or MP6 work on average 10 hour days (some weeks are 40, some are 50 and then there are horrible marking to please internal gods of marking frenzy, mocksted and ofsted observation frenzy, exam revision frenzy 60 hour weeks - that is where my average comes from.)
    That means teachers not on the leadership pay spine, work for around £12 to £17 pounds an hour.
    Now look what the paper where gove's missus works put to the public in 2013. Where on earth did the wierdo Daniel Martin and the OECD get this false information from? The dfe? Whose pay packet were they looking at? An assistant head non teaching person's?
    Is it any wonder we get slammed by the public! According to them we get 40 pounds an hour.
    So if that is true we should only be working around 5 to 6 hours a day for 195 days a year.
    That is apparently what the government and OCED think we are doing clearly!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aid-world-They-earn-spend-time-classroom.html

15. drek

drek Lead commenter

Shortly after that article the spate of capabilities spread nationwide, by sharing best practice procedures between managers and policy officials. Score for the boards taking over the running of our schools.

16. drek

drek Lead commenter

12 pounds an hour would mean a lot to an overseas teacher. Reduced income taxes, free accommodation in teaching hostels, and exchange rates would probably trebble their annual,incomes back in their home country.
    Can see why school boards would be lobbying the govt to get that going.

17. katehippoE

katehippoE New commenter

Good grief, cannot believe that this man is trying to put the blame onto teachers for trying to do their job and meet all the expectations given to them by Ofsted, Government, SLT, parents etc. I do many more hours than I am contracted for, it is not because I feel guilty but things need completing in order for me to teach, track, prepare evidence for scrutiny and so on. There is more I do not get done but for my own sanity and health there has to be a limit on the time I can give. I feel very insulted by this.

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Well he would say that, wouldn't he?

Man's a prize pill.ock.

cherryaimless and RedQuilt like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Man from Ofsted he say ... 'well it's really your own fault now isn't it, being all caring and wanting the best for your pupils'...

Cos man from Ofsted he be stoopid.

needabreak, drek and snowyhead like this.
  20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This article just emphasises what I have observed: the most dedicated teachers are suffering the most under the current pressures being placed on them. The best way to survive is to have low standards and be willing to game play.

drek, harsh-but-fair and lanokia like this.