1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OH referral for new post

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mrs_Frog, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Not sure if this is the right forum....

There have been a number of issues at my PRU post amalgamation so I have done as the Chimp management tutor advised, and have changed my environment.
    I have a chronic, well managed condition that has not caused me any issues for a number of years, but I have to declare it, and rightly so.
    My new post has referred me to OH for a 'fitness to work' assessment etc, which I have done before. I would like to have got it all done prior to starting, the new school is very 'by the book' (which I can assure you is a very refreshing change)

However, my current head is refusing to pay me for the time off, as it is the new school that want the appointment, and cover will have to be provided. (Cover won't be provided, classes will be cancelled or merged, as usually happens when we are short on staff...........)

Is this discriminatory, after all it is not my choice that I have to go for this appointment, or am I just being @rsey for the sake of it?

Ta very much.

MF x

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Quite possibly - if your health condition meets the criteria for 'disability' under s6EqA 2010. Many people assume that's a given for a chronic health condition - but it isn't, necessarily, if it doesn't meet the criteria in the Act.

You could argue under 'discrimination arising from a disability'.

Have a word with your union, who are best placed to advise on the facts of your specific situation.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry to be negative, and this isn't a legal argument, but surely the school that has demanded the assessment should pay for cover. Your current school knows that you are fit to work, so have no need for it. Won't your new school pay? Or, couldn't it be done in the Easter holiday?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Is starting the new post dependent upon having had the assessment? Can't you have it after you have started?

[QUOTE="Mrs_Frog, post: 11610413, member: 118393"]I would like to have got it all done prior to starting, the new school is very 'by the book' (which I can assure you is a very refreshing change)[/QUOTE]

The BIB suggests to me you have some discretion on the timing of this. I think I'm with @Piranha on this. Totally not your fault and you shouldn't be penalised. Totally not really anything to do with your current post. So the new school needs to sort it.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You could ask your new school whether they could offer to pay your current school for the supply cover needed.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have a teacher leaving at the end of the term and both her and the new school wanted her to spend the day there. They agreed to pay for a day's supply cover. I agree with the other posters- ask the new school to pay for cover. After all they are requesting the report.