1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OH Referal and some agreed time off...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by PE_Factory, Apr 19, 2018.

1. PE_Factory

PE_Factory New commenter

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression since last September when I took on a new role as 2nd in dept in a brand new school.

Long story short - I lasted 4 weeks before being signed off with the above after being totally crushed and stripped of my confidence in the last school. I left at Christmas, and started a new role at a new school in January.

I can feel myself rapidly spirally downwards again but because I can see the signs now I went straight to the head teacher. I'm pretty set on leaving teaching, andnso wanted to lay my cards out on the table. He has referred me to OH for some counselling and has also allowed me to have an afternoon off every two weeks to have some head space.

I can't believe how supportive this school is, yet I still want to leave?! I feel so guilty and disappointed that I'm feeling this way but I just can't get beyond the fact that I simply cannot teach anymore - any advice?

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

How lovely your Head sounds. I think you should take up the counselling to see if you can get to the bottom of what is causing this. If you continue to feel ill you could go and see your GP to be signed off for a while.