1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh, not a good start - a satisfactory lesson observation.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by BV99, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I am an NQT who has been working on supply in the same school since October. To my delight, I have been given a job there from January to July which I am very excited about.
    As I have been working there on full time supply, the head observed one of my literacy lessons. After my feedback, I was given a satisfactory rating. I feel really deflated about this as when I was training, I was graded as outstanding. I know that training and being qualified are different but I can't help feeling upset by it.
    I am going to take the feedback and use it constructively but can anyone help me to move forward or any tips you can give me.
    Many thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

2. Hi all
    I am an NQT who has been working on supply in the same school since October. To my delight, I have been given a job there from January to July which I am very excited about.
    As I have been working there on full time supply, the head observed one of my literacy lessons. After my feedback, I was given a satisfactory rating. I feel really deflated about this as when I was training, I was graded as outstanding. I know that training and being qualified are different but I can't help feeling upset by it.
    I am going to take the feedback and use it constructively but can anyone help me to move forward or any tips you can give me.
    Many thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

3. Don't get deflated whatever you do. If you read the OFSTED criteria I'm sure you will be happy with satisfactory for your first observation. To get good I believe all children have to make progress within the lesson which is pretty hard to achieve.
    What areas of development were highlighted?
    Onwwards and upwards as the saying goes. You will be fine.

4. My lesson was once classed as 'inadequate' at an interview, the next day I was given 'outstanding'. Things change, and just because you were given satisfactory for that lesson doesn't mean that your teaching is just satisfactory.
    As you know the Ofsted criteria has recently changed so my advice would be to read it over until you are really clear what evidences 'Outstanding' teaching. If one child in the room is off task you can't get outstanding, now unless you have perfect class I don't really understand how that's possible!? They are obviously already impressed with you as they gave you a job based on your previous teaching, so if I were you I would concentrate on that and try and move forward.
    x

5. Remember also that 'outstanding' as a trainee is not the same as 'outstanding' as a qualified and experienced teacher. The descriptions are subject to change by OFSTED and will no doubt change again with the new Head of OFSTED and you class will change from day to day. All teachers have a range of lessons through the week from inadequate to outstanding also parts of lessons vary from day to day. In time you will get to recognise the criteria and be more consistent.
    James

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Such irritations upset teachers with all levels of experience.

Read these threads from primary to get some ideas...

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/539167.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/537461.aspx?PageIndex=1

7. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

If it makes you feel better, I got observed by my head teacher the other week.
    My verbal feedback started with 'I'm going to give you a good for that lesson' and finished with 'actually I think i'll give you satisfactory'. Was gutted!!!
    I got satisfactory because the two y7 students he was sat next to got stage fright and couldn't do the question I'd set them (as soon as he left they got it!). Hence they didnt make progress in the 30 mins and hence its an OFSTED satisfactory even though the other 30 made good progress.
    Gutted!

8. I retired in the summer after 30 years and I was never remotely near being judged by OFSTED as outstanding. And do you know what? I couldn't care less. OFSTED is to be endured and is not the point of the job.
    I look back with immense satisfaction, that's real satisfaction not the OFSTED definition, on the effect my job had on many children's lives. That is the point of the job not to meet the ever changing criteria of OFSTED.
    Being a caring teacher and a reliable colleague matter much more than the worthless label you attach to yourself.