1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh no - we're getting TEEPed!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Oct 4, 2018.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

TEEP, now owned by a private organisation, is coming to our school to educate the teachers on the correct protocols for teaching methodology.

I've been through TEEP twice at two other schools. Complete and utter garbage.

The SLT mor0n, who is charge of teaching & learning (despite being inadequate), has requested TEEP champions to attend weekly meetings.

TEEP includes lots of group work, posters, disingenuous and highly questionable methodology as well as turning education into edutainment.

The new head at my old school, after being placed into Special Measures, emphatically declared teachers were to teach, not "facilitate" learning - the central crux of TEEP.

Have you been TEEPed?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I stopped reading and started frothing when I got to "champion".

lala24, george1963, vannie and 4 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Haven't herd of this lot before... having had a browse of their website I do not feel my life or work will be any better if they are included in it...

So it's a pass from me...

4. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Oh I have been TEEPED. Utter waste of time.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Must be good.

It even has a Brass Eye style graphic

[​IMG]

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oooh that looks a fun board game...

And the winner gets .... Capabilitied!

sabrinakat, nizebaby, Sillow and 4 others like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• effective learner behaviours
    • effective teacher behaviours
    • assessment for learning
    • effective use of ICT
    • thinking for learning
    • accelerated learning
    • collaborative learning
    • the TEEP learning cycle
    Oooh, somebody got paid by the word! That word being - learning. And variants thereof!

Wow. That beats all previous records in the category, "How many times can you incorporate "learning" into a piece of text?"

Kudos! :rolleyes:

8. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Commiserations. I don't know where to begin with my hatred of TEEP; it has become the epitome of what's wrong with education.
    The way I would sum it up: take every single piece of good practice in teaching (and any bad practices that sound/look pretty), lump it all together and sell it to schools. Then (SLT) use the word "TEEP" to criticise/praise things without having to justify it with anything tangible; "oh, that's a lovely TEEPy activity", "how could you have TEEPed that lesson?", "I need to see more TEEP in your lessons".

BetterNow and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, I haven't.

I am now retired but teach part time for a lower-converted-to-primary to see their new Year 6 pupils through their first Year 6 SATs.

If anyone tried to KEEP me I shall point them to the TEEP web site where is states:

TEEP is designed for all school staff who want to develop their own and their colleagues’ teaching practice, reflecting on existing strategies that are working well and building on what could be even better...

... and make it clear that I don't want to.

If the school insists I shall walk out.

'Nuff said!!

11. CheeseMongler

If only I could choose to pass...

12. CheeseMongler

You don't want to develop your own teaching practice... I'm afraid that means that you are in breach of Teacher Standards 1.8.4 then! I know there's no way for me to get out of it, I've got "TEEP to the top" on my performance management targets this year.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No offence intended but that sounds rather infantile...

BetterNow, bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

15. CheeseMongler

I am offended, but not by you, it is infantile... not as bad as the "TEEP in the toilet" where we can't even go for a p*$$ without a poster of strategies being rammed down our throats.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

One simply cannot improve on perfection. :rolleyes:

carterkit, blazer and grumpydogwoman like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Rott Weiler and grumpydogwoman like this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It sounds VERY effective.

As a method of selling snake oil to schools that need to be seen to be doing something - ANYTHING!

A panacea for ineffective management.

Value for kids and teachers - zero. Actually negative as it's a waste of time and energy that could be better spent doing something else or even nothing.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I love TEEP posters. They're soft, strong, and thoroughly absorbent. (with apologies to Blackadder Goes Forth)

20. CheeseMongler

Just walked past my favourite TEEP posters with the Benjamin Franklin quote (though being TEEP, it's plagiarised with no credit to the original author); "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn."
    Oh the irony of sticking this on a poster.