1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OH next week - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newton375, Jan 17, 2020.

1. newton375

newton375 New commenter

Hi

I've been off work for 8 weeks - no diagnosis, (immune system? Stress? - no real answers & blood tests ok)

I know i'm not ready/able to return soon .

What do they ask? What should I know before the interview?

Anything I should prepare for?

Any advice welcome

2. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

OH are independent and should make medical based recommendations for you such as:

a) have more time off work if that is the right path.
    b) make recommendations for reasonable adjustments.

They should be supportive and considerate. You should get a chance to read and ratify the report before it goes to your HR dept. I believe you can take someone with you if you wish.

Due to my longstanding MH condition I had many dealings with OH, when applying for jobs, or when unwell, and they have always been supportive. Unfortunately, schools do not always implement the recommendations of the OH report. That is where it gets tricky.

If you feel you are not being treated fairly / independently, then contact your union for further advice.

Best wishes,

strawbs likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I was terrified when I went the first time, having had a month off with WRS. The doctor I saw was fantastic; my Head had written her a letter which had really put her back up, because he was asking her to be prejudiced in her meeting with me. I cannot stress enough what a help OH was. The second meeting was less terrifying, but equally helpful.

If you think you might find it hard to express yourself, write stuff down and take the paper with you. This might be just for you, or you might want to do a copy for the Dr to keep, though that depends on you and your situation. You might have some ideas about what adjustments the school could make, for example, or a timescale for any medical tests you are awaiting which would be relevant.

Ask to see the report before it is sent to your school. That way you know what it says. It is possible that you may be able to ask for some adjustments, but they would need to be based on factual things which might not have been taken into consideration. But I am not quite sure on this point. The Dr will tell you if you ask, as will your union. Please tell me you're in a union?

I hope it goes well.