1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OH Health assessment

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rsg2016, Jan 15, 2019.

1. rsg2016

rsg2016 New commenter

What should I expect? I have never had one before but I am feeling rather worried about it. Lets be honest, occupational health are employed by the employer!

2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

In my experience, OH were very supportive and not at all biased towards the school. They were definitely on my side, suggesting several areas where school could help me.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

My experience is old but didn't want to read and run. Personally my experience with OH was a positive one, they were very supportive and put several recommendations to the school to help me return to work. I know what you mean about them being employed by the employer and I remember being quite cagey with them initially, they did tell me that they would only share what I wanted them to share; as far as I am aware they stuck to their word on this. I also remember feeling very worried about the whole thing prior to my first appointment. I hope it goes well.

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I think that they are on the whole impartial.

Try not to hide things from them that you would like to be considered as a possible adjustment.

I would always recommend that you request that the the report is forwarded to yourself to be OK'd before it is forwarded to the school so that you can ask for corrections /clarifications etc be made or you may refuse it being released but this may not be wise.

5. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

I had one yesterday and they strongly advised I do not return to work until I am feeling better and there is significant improvement. They were supportive and focused on my health and safety.xx

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Although the school pays their bill OH doctors consider themselves independent professionals with responsibility for the people referred to them. Not there to do the employer's dirty work. Your question is often asked on here and all the replies from people who have been referred have been like the ones here. Nothing to worry about.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

My experience with OH was very positive. A number of OH assessments now are actually carried out over the phone....

Good advice, they do state this at the end of the assessment. Received 2 weeks later and made a few corrections before the agreed final report was sent to school.

8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I saw them several years ago now, and like you felt nervous about it. However the person I saw was decent and put me at ease. Like skellig1182, I was advised not to return to work at that point, and they notified school of that. I also saw the final report before it was forwarded to school, and felt it a fair reflection of the situation. When I did return, the school acted on the points in the report in a fair and supportive way. School had to make the referral to OH as they have a duty of care, and I did worry OH would be biased in the schools favour, but it wasn't like that at all.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

A few years ago I was off with WRS and the Head asked for an OH referral. I was terrified, but in fact found it extremely supportive; my Head seemed to believe I was not ill, the Dr I saw was very firm that not only was I ill wit WRS, but that the Head was a major factor in making me so. About 2 months later, the Head tried again, and had the same result. Both times, the report came to me first and was clear that unless major changes were made, I would be inlikely to return to work in the short or medium term. Soon after that I was offered an SA.
    So, Approach it with a positive attitude. Don't lie, but equally, don't hide your symptoms - a list or notes may be helpful here - and ask to see the report before it goes to the Head.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. rsg2016

rsg2016 New commenter

Hi, well it's done and I think that they were supportive. She not only saw I was unwell but also felt that I may have a battle ahead to get well. Very sympathetic and recognised the work I'm doing myself to try and get myself well so all of which will go in the report. She has said she thinks it'll be useful to assess me again in a few weeks but was very firm in my not returning too soon stating that it could go against me if I did. Thank you everyone for your support.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm glad it went well. Good for you. I hope you can now take these weeks to rest and recover.

agathamorse likes this.