1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh god, I might upset the teachers' brigade

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Andy_91, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Hmmm, feeling a bit bad actually. I'm not normally one to massively rock the boat, nor enter into discussions on these teaching forums (at least recently - I usually just don't bother these days). However, mainly out of chore avoidance, I am going to add my tuppence worth (politely yet assertively) on a thread of my own making about the drabbily dressed teachers of young impressionable children.
    You know what I mean - the sensible short hair-cut going defiantly grey, the saggy sensible trousers with the elasticated waists and the shapeless top covering the shapeless bum. Invariably topped off with a comedic brooch in lieu of any adornment that is actually an adornment.
    I am against all this in that I think it's unnecessary, lazy and a bit sort of defeatistly lower middle-class - attire as a statement of whinge as it were ..... this and those godawful sensible Ecco sandals on buniony old feet.
    I would also like to point out that some people may have preconceived ideas about the background and motivational powers of these drabbies. Yes, that does sound pretty bad but come on, haven't we all judged at one point or another?!? Anyway in short, I question why parents would allow their children to have role-models dressed in sacks - after all presentation and smart dress codes are part of the twenty-first century workforce. Yet again teachers are out of step with what is required and normal elsewhere in the real world of work.
    I'm sure you'll all agree.

2. Are you really?

3. Crikey, Andy, that was a very long winded way of saying you need advice on your bunions [​IMG]

4. and you dress - how?

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I would agree if I wasn't so personally offended[​IMG]

6. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

S'cuse me! My oversized baggy top and elasticated waisted trousers come from Primark I'll have you know! Only the best.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Hey; leave off on the elasticated waists! If I didn't have those the next step would be the waistband just under the armpits!

8. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Quite presentably actually - slim figure, clothes that fit, hair still dark and quite well cut, look ten years younger than my actual age.

9. Yes, you national treasure - but what about the bunions and the piles?
    [​IMG]

10. Drabbily? Did you just make that word up?
    Speaking as one of the more smartly-dressed members of staff at our school, I can only point out that I don't routinely have small children smearing their bodily effluvia, poster paint or glue over my legs, nor do I need protecting anymore from flying grease, tomato puree, gas jets, concrety bread dough or heavy objects dropping on my feet.
    But when I did, hair bundled into a scrunchy, docs, cheap trousers and dark washable cool tops were the way.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Very amusing, take the pis.s out of my piercing post why don't you? [​IMG]
    .... what's worse, and even more depressing, is that you have more or less described my entire 'postnatal' wardrobe [​IMG]

12. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Not me - I first heard it about 20 years ago. Not seen it written though, but it's a word that deserves a wider audience.
    Are you doing OK BTW?

13. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I'm sure many of the offenders would describe it as their postnatal wardrobe. The thing is the postnatal period seems to be a 30 year stretch clothes-wise.

14. and your gender is?

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

heh heh! My youngest is just under a year but I am already scunnered at the sight of myself, so need to do something about it.
    Maybe you could start a motivational thread for us frumps? [​IMG]

16. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

"Drably" is the word you're looking for, Andy. The other one doesn't exist. Back to the OP, teaching, especially in primary, is not the place for your Jimmy Choos. Not sure I like the critigue of going grey, why shouldn't they? Women tecahers appear to be the subject here, and there's social pressure not be grey: men are distinguished, while women are letting themselves go. I admire these women ( not the elasticated waist,s though)
    I speak as one who dyes her hair and dresses smartly for my work.

17. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

That should be"teachers", of course, but it is 6.00 in the morning.

18. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

good grief - and here was me thinking this was a light hearted, pi.ss take thread. OP - you're not actually serious are you?

19. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Damn, I was quite liking your post up to this point.

I want to know what Andy91's doing peeping through my classroom window.

20. A combination of huge hungry babies, no bloody sleep and post-traumatic shock after the labour ensured that I was under eight stone until the spawn went to school. It was the trendiest time of my life, give or take the lingering odour of yogurt.
    No, teaching made me fat. A diet of Pinot Noir, antidepressants, cream cakes and Dime Bars does that.