1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh Dear

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Sep 18, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our school is closed today because we have a water and power supply issue - we don't have any of the former and an intermittent supply of the latter.

Have a good day everyone.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..how sad, never mind.

[​IMG]

Rach05, Laphroig, ilovesooty and 3 others like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Gosh that will cause some ructions with parents and potentially students roaming around because they're 'bored'.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I am of course - Gutted

Going shopping later.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wait for the 'why don't you make the day up at the weekend/in the holidays etc boll0x from SLT/Governors/Parents....'!
    :mad:

And make sure you all stand firm to reject such ideas!:D;)

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That won't happen - our HT would never do that and he has the measure of the parents.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Weather looks lovely here, enjoy your day.

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

A day like this is a present. Enjoy!
    And DON'T do school stuff.

9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

A nice mid-week bonus, Peakster - have a great day!

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@peakster: Brings back fond memories of the bad winter of 62-3. The children's lavatories at Lady Margaret Road Primary were outside ones, on the other side of the playground. If they froze up, we were all sent home.

blue451 likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When I was a pupil in primary school I remember vividly the day our school boiler blew-up. It was the middle of Winter and it took several days to fix.

I had to miss the Shepherds pie we would normally have had on Thursday - it was really nice.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There's nothing so welcome as a bonus free day.

I remember once being in the school library with a class and a DH came in and said everyone has to go home as a digger accidentally dug through a water main cutting it off to the school. The kids and I were absolutely delighted!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was born during the winter of 1963 - my parents lived in a small basement flat in Scarborough - it was so cold Mum and I were evacuated to Grans house in Warrington for several weeks.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been thinking this morning whether I've ever experienced a similar situation (other than snow days) in my teaching career and I can't think of one.

We don't get snow days any more round here - we've had half a snow day in about 10 years.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Probably the same for me. We were once sent home at about 2pm as the snow had started to come down and much was forecast, buses came early and as one of the staff with the furthest to go I was pleased not to have to drive home in the snow in the nearly dark at the usual time. As it was I had an awful drive home, heavy snow blown by really strong winds. It then stopped about 10 mins after I arrived home and cleared up, didn't settle. Can't look a gift horse in the mouth though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I grew up in Yorkshire - we had proper snow.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We were closed once because of a flood caused by an absolute blinder of a thunderstorm which overwhelmed the drains and poured into the school flooding the boilers in the basement and many of the ground floor rooms.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

One year we had heavy snow and the HT delayed closing. The site staff swept the car park and piled the snow around his car!

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

1962-63 or 1963-64?

I remember my primary school closing for a few days in early December 1962 because of the smog. It was a bitterly cold winter and there was no clean air legislation at that time. Despite a coal shortage the domestic fires caused a ghastly green/yellow smog which lasted for days, starting in London (where we lived at the time) and then spreading across the country.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My all time best bad weather story was in 2003 when we had the big snow storm in East Anglia. It started snowing around lunchtime but we carried on through the rest of the day and it was about 3 pm before I set off on the 42 mile journey home.

It was completely surreal - you could barely see the road surface - somehow I got back to the M11 junction and just got across it before the road closed (that was the night where many people were trapped on the motorway until the following day).

I then had to pick my way through the outskirts of Cambridge - eventually getting home about 9 am - it was a minor miracle I got home in one piece.

The school was closed the next day - I couldn't have got there anyway.