1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh dear

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eal2, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I've just come off the phone to the police. They rang me as I had a 'collision' with a taxi. He was in the bus lane and I had looked in the mirror seen nothing and indicated and turned left. I didn't see him until I was already turning. I carried on turning and he followed me flashing his lights. I stopped and he showed me some white paint and and a tiny dent. He gave me his card and I gave him my phone number.

I went straight home and told my OH who rang our insurance. I looked at my car and could see no damage. The insurance said ring the police. OH did and got an incident number. Later the taxi man rang us and my husband got rather shirty with him thinking it was a scam.
    Taxi man said he would get get the police involved. OH said they already knew. Taxi man put phone down. I thought it would be the end of the matter if it was a scam.

Next thing it is the police station saying if I don't exchange details about the collision I will be trouble. I said I haven't refused so spoke to the man at the police station we exchanged details. I went straight to the police station to get a picture of the damage on his car and as I was taking the picture he came out and saw me. He was very polite but said I had clipped him.
    I haven't had an accident in over 20 years I am sure we didn't collide. I would have felt it surely.
    Sorry to have gone on so long but I need to get this off my chest. Now I just have to stop myself worrying about it.

2. Don't you usually hear a loud noise if there is a collision, even a minor collision?

3. well that's what I would have thought. I would at least have ehard metal on metal. I've got a black car and the paint on his car was white. I'm so conviced we didn't make contact.

4. So what extra did the police have to say prior to you "just getting off the phone to them?
    You either hit him or you didn't ..it will be up to the insurance companies to decide.

5. The police said it was between the insurance companies. I don't think we touched but he obviously thinks otherwise?

6. there is damage to his car but I don't think I did it. So it is up to the insurance companies to sort it now.

7. You have a picture of the paint on his car, and evidence your car isnt the same colour. Surely thats enough proof for the insurance company?
    Someone rolled into the back of me not long ago at an island (must've been going less than 2mph!), very gently, there was a very very tiny scrape to my car and nothing to his, but I still jolted quite strongly and felt the collision - I think you'd know if you'd clipped him.
    Maybe he genuinly does think you clipped him, but I dont think you did.

8. Oh, and is he really going to lose his potential no claims and pay the excess to make a claim for a small scratch? Nope. I wouldn't worry too much about it!

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Tip: if involved in an accident you exchange registration numbers, addresses, and insurance details if you know them. NEVER give them your phone number, it is not a legal requirement, and may lead to shirty phone calls. then let the insurance company deal with it once you have filled in a claim form. You can write "no collision took place".

10. Thanks Jacob. I was more concerned at giving my address as I am often on my own. I shall put a report in about the incident to my insurance co. and then leave it at that.

11. So surely you give way to traffic to the right? Or does this not apply to taxis?

12. The OP was cutting across his lane. If they had collided, it wouldn't have been the taxi's fault.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Beacause he is a taxi the rules about accidents are strange,,,,not the least because they have to be motd twice a year and so he doesnt want anything failing in the test. They are quite strict on taxis and hackney carriages and i suppose besidebeing the usual taxi driver with a bee in his bonnet he wants to make sure his cab is primstine.
    However ,i cant condone his actions or his attitude.althoough i have had folks trying to claim more damage then was actual...which is why i normally carry a cheap camera in the car.....just in case....or the mobile phone for such occasions.