1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh dear

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I know this should be on H+W, but more traffic here, and if anyone has the time/inclination, I could do with some words of comfort. Have been signed off work for a couple of weeks and feeling very weird and stupid (mental illness stuff). Worried about students, don't like being seen as a looper, not looking forward to being on own all the time. Scared of noises in flat. There is hope right? If not, just tell me how y'all are - might distract me! :)

A befuddled

Yapette

2. I know this should be on H+W, but more traffic here, and if anyone has the time/inclination, I could do with some words of comfort. Have been signed off work for a couple of weeks and feeling very weird and stupid (mental illness stuff). Worried about students, don't like being seen as a looper, not looking forward to being on own all the time. Scared of noises in flat. There is hope right? If not, just tell me how y'all are - might distract me! :)

A befuddled

Yapette

3. bnm

bnm

Hello, yapyap, I can keep you company for a bit.
    I am off work today (see my bid for sympathy thread on H+W).
    Despite knowing I have made a sensible decision about being at home I am feeling guilty.
    Could you put a radio on to disguise noises in the flat?
    I always cling to the belief that one day I suddenly feel better, and then I know how ill I've been. It's happened in the past so must surely happen again.
    I hope your "suddenly feeling better day" comes sooner rather than later.

4. Hey there, i can too keep you company am on gardening leave. Also understand the trials and tribulations of a mind that plays silly beggars.

5. I can join you too! Suffer from depression, anxiety, menopausal........I'm in OZ and saw a snake ( a nasty one) two days ago, so in spite of the hot flushes....I turned the air conditioner off last night in bedroom (in spite of having bad hot flushes) so that I could better hear any noises in the house! I'm obviously barking mad...hope this makes you feel better! xx

6. Hi yapyap, I can join you too, been off a few weeks nowwith anxiety and depression. If it helps, I don't feel guilty anymore about it, I have finally accepted what everyone has told me about how it's more important to get yourself better and not worry about everyone else.
    Looking back I think I am better than I was (less bad days now) so hang in there, odds are you will get better, but it might take longer than you think, that's the bit that's hard to accept sometimes!
    As for the noises, I would say at the moment it's probably the wind! I don't know where you are but it's wild here!
    I'm not great at advising though, I get freaked out by noises and turn everything off to listen too! Have you got a friend or relative who can stay a couple of days or that you could stay with til you feel calmer?
    Look after yourself x

7. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Im here too; a bad bout of flu has sent me into a downward spiral, apart from wondering where the hell my life is going.
    SSx

8. i am kind of worrried that any extended stay at home will make my symptoms worse. i can already feel myself falling into the trap of sleeping excessively which is something i do when everything is black.

9. I'm here too, just enjoying the dregs of my maternity leave and feeling a bit queasy about going back next week! Tes will keep you company. Anytime I'm off sick I feel awful for not being in, and that's just with having flu etc, so I can only imagine how you must feel being off for a wee while. Anything you can do at home to take your mind off things? I'm a bt rubbish when it comes to advice, sorry.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That was me last week. Aching bones and muscles, sciatic pain, stiff neck, very tired and severe doldrums bout my work situation. Had to turn down 4 days supply work. Eeeek!!!! Got some accupuncture and chinese herbal medicine and I am feeling back to my usual self. [​IMG]
    Well I think it's perfectly normal to feel strange and vulnerable. It's a totally bonkers world we live in and people who say they never experience anxiety, low morale, weird thoughts etc. are lying. It is simply not possible to be human and go through life not feeling these things. People who never doubt their sanity are insane.
    *Not sure if that read as comforting as it was intended.*

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Radio, TV, i-Pod will all distract you from random noises that are freaking you out.
    Consider how odd it would be to not have no noises. I reckon that the complete absence of background noises (pipes creaking, bird call, wind blowing etc) would freak me out more!
    Just because you are signed off sick does not mean that you have to be house-bound. You haven't got a contagious condition and should try to get out of the house regularly, for human contact and exercise as well as for shopping etc.

12. I've started doing that! Went from not sleeping to all the time - and I've never been a big sleeper - any suggestions for avoiding it? (getting up being an obvious answer ;)

13. Good question Flowerpot, and one I have no answer for unfortunately. i had to force myself out of bed at 9.30 this morning and the day is just stretching endlessly before me. Yesterday i didn't get up until middayand had a 2 hour sleep from 6 until 8 last night and was in bed by 11.30 and slept until 9am this morning and could have stayed there. It doesn't help that there isn't much to do when i get up.

14. I agree with Jubilee - if you can trust yourself not to run out in your dressing gown (I have been that loopy), try to get out for a walk every day, even if it's just round the block. The fresh air and mild exercise will make you feel better, and you don't feel quite so isolated from the rest of society.

15. Chilliexx, do you like stitching? Something you can take up and put down again without (pardon the pun) losing the thread? Cross-stitch is quite absorbing if you're looking for something to do to fill your hours, as is making soup. Lots of mindless chopping and stirring...

16. I have been cooking like a thing demented, made a game pie yesterday am going to make a batch of spiced red cabbage later.
    I love reading and have copious amounts of books to red but not in the mood.
    My fine motor skills aren't great so things like sewing frustrate me hugely.

17. Chilliexx - you could be describing me there as far as sleep goes!
    Lily - the whole world has advised me to walk and I know I should but actually DOING it is another matter! Especially while the weather is so rubbish. Why couldn't I have lost the plot in the summer? ;)
    I'm a rubbish cook and all other things domestic, so those hold no interest either! Have decided to start a website instead ( much more my area of expertise) thing is it still doesn't fill me with desire to leap from my lovely, warm cosy bed in the mornings!
    Had to get up at 8:30 this morning to catch a train, and it was very hard!
    I'm on the train now but being at a major station earlier totally freaked me out!
    I've never been afraid of busy social places but I nearly cried because I had to queue up!
    I can only assume it's developed because I daren't go out at home for fear of bumping into work people.
    Although I feel better, I suspect I'm just replacing one set of neuroses with some shiny new ones!!

18. Thank you so much everyone. Sorry , a little flaky in the head just at the moment, a bit half awake and teary - reading your answers has really helped, but I might have to leave til later to reply? Sorry. THANK YOU

19. I have just been out for an hour and spent the whole time wanting to be back at home and now I am there don't want to be here either.
    Yapyap take it easy and don't be hard on yourself, if tears come then let them.

20. Surely lounging around at home, as well as being a symptom, makes things much worse? Get out, exercise, be creative or go back to work. All of these things will also help raise self esteem. Sure, I'm no expert. But this stuff is obvious. Treat each day as work if it's hard- work is hard. But mapping it out and sticking to a plan are ways to conquer it. *Ducks for cover*