1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh Dear...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Physallis, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Have just read a review of a school I have interview with on the ISR. It sounds terrible... Quick Q - on the ratings is 10 the most favourable? It says that it is for the housing Q but not sure about the others.

2. Have just read a review of a school I have interview with on the ISR. It sounds terrible... Quick Q - on the ratings is 10 the most favourable? It says that it is for the housing Q but not sure about the others.

3. where is the school?

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Don't forget that it could be a case of one disgruntled teacher letting off steam. On the other hand, if it's more than one or two then be very careful. As I've said before, one bad school can ruin your career, or, at the very least, make things much more difficult.

5. It's in Mexico - it's a pretty damning review...

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

It's my first move to an international school. David - as you point out, I'm very worried about damaging my career. I'm in my NQT year teaching at a school recently graded outstanding by the powers that be. I was graded outstanding in my obs and I really don't want to jeopardise my future career. I want to leave the UK but only for a good school abroad - otherwise I'll stay put here till something comes along. I'm not about to dig myself into a hole.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I don't see how this is true. If you keep on ending up at bad schools then that is a problem, but one bad school is not really going to be anything to worry about.
    I spent 6 years working at a military college in the M.E. and it hasn't affected my career in the slightest.

7. A friend of mine got offered a job recently but when he read the ISR reviews was unsure whether to accept the job. He ended up sending emails to teachers at the school, using information from the school's website. He got some really positive replies, has accepted the job and is very happy with his decision.

8. I think it's unlikely you will get a good school as an NQT. Most reputable schools request at least 2 years International experience. It's a big, big risk hiring not just an NQT but someone who hasn't worked abroad before. There are people who leave and quit after 3 months because they don't like it.
    The top schools are more likely to go for someone who has done it before. I'd aim for a mid-range school. Even if the school & pay isn't perfect, country not ideal, it's just getting that 1st contract done and leaving with shining references. Then you can be more hopeful of landing a good school.
    For what I've heard, Mexico doesn't pay well but there are much worse places to live.

9. I hear you and I agree that I'm not aiming for top tier schools but I also don't want to be somewhere that I'm going to be unhappy and be forced to leave without a reference (as suggested on ISR). I have worked and lived abroad - although not as a teacher - but I'd
    still be tempted to leave if I ended up in a place that didn't suit. It doesn't make much difference, but I'll have completed my NQT year when I start anew in September.

10. I worked in Mexico....which school is it?

11. Have sent you a message Sidniz. A teacher on here highly recommended the school so maybe the ISR is a disgruntled customer.

12. Sangster - thanks for that idea.

13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Almost invariably, the next school you apply to will want a reference from your old one. Was this not the case after the military college - if you lasted 6 years they must have been fairly happy with you, even if the opposite wasn't true.

Maybe it's not always the case, but I would imagine that it's often difficult to get a decent reference out of a bad school, especially when you haven't left under amicable circumstances.

14. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The Military Establishment was a complete and utter nuthouse. They refused point blank to give references, but since they were a Military Establishment and didn't really understand the teaching world, it was simply a case of getting the Head of Department and Head of Section to take over the roles of referees.
    As it was military, and no one knew what was going on there, you could say you taught whatever you liked - and provided you had the qualifications and knowledge to back it up - you got away with it.

15. Some of the stuff written here is laughable and some of it true! The ISR review is a disgruntled employee and totally incorrect!
    Working here for four years, all i will say is feel free to contact the teachers and get a true opinion. After all, the school has to be right for you, and vice versa!