1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh Dear - Learning Styles Again!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Oct 8, 2015.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

hope4thefuture and FolkFan like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They don't exist in the form originally presented - everyone learns using all the 'learning styles' - actually it's a multi-sensory experience - and everyone processes information using all the 'styles' too, but in different orders and in different ways. So yes, it's a nonsense if taken in a simplistic way - which is what I suspect the 'futurologist' is doing.

Isn't another name for a 'futurologist' a science fiction writer?

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@monicabilongame you do cheer me up. I would pare it down even further though 'isn't another name for a 'futurologist' a bull$#iter'.:D

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It is unclear from the article whether Talwar is talking about "learning styles"; he does not use the phrase. He does mention "teaching styles". The first is a reification and should not be promoted, the second actual and legitimate to discuss.

However, he is not alone in the article in falling into the 21st-Century-Skills trap. Usual HHC garbage.

snowyhead likes this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They haven't gone away at all. Yesterday I met someone I know who's doing adult ed with a view to going into nursing, who has been analysing her learning styles. My introduction to adult ed course that I did last year had some stuff about learning styles.
    Misconceptions are hard to change.
    P

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I agree with snowy. Futurologists do indeed replicate the processes of the bovine intestinal tract.

7. Vince_Ulam

Learning Styles, Multiple Intelligences, Thinking Hats, P4C, inexplicable posters of spiders; all popular, all garbage.

timwallach and Morninglover like this.
  8. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Not heard of P4C. Sounds frightening.

Dunces hats. Now that really worked!

9. Vince_Ulam

It's an excuse for people who have passed the Standards to chat with children about nothing and to no end.