1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh dear God! I actually agree with that ***** Wilshaw!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by delnon, Mar 3, 2016.

1. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

He said this: “Good headteachers could come from outside teaching. But I’ve not met one yet. I’ve not seen the chief executive of a local plumbing firm becoming a good headteacher.”

The problem is: I've yet to see a good Chief Inspector.

Landofla likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Statistically it can be proven that even Wilshaw is occasionally right.
    This is, of course, no comfort to those of us who sometimes find ourselves agreeing with his rare lapses.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG] Didactylos4 !

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Yeh and they will say in order to employ the best you have to pay high salaries - except if you a good classroom teacher.

delnon likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What he should have said is "The evidence now proves that good headteachers must have a good track record as teachers. It is simply not possible for a person who has not had recent, substantial experience in teaching to lead a school, no matter how successfully they've run a business."

That's the truth.

Owen134866, loodle1, delnon and 3 others like this.
  6. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

What on earth was he talking about?

7. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I agree with Wilshaw (damn) and Middlemarch but I think it will happen eventually that school leaders will be non-teachers. The supply of people wanting to step into leadership will decrease and schools are run like businesses anyway so why not appoint CEO types to lead them? After all, it works really well that people who have no medical training or knowledge get to lead hospitals and NHS trusts, right?

8. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I'd like to see headteachers as precisely that - responsible for teaching and curriculum. The role of Chief Exec/Head Administrator does not need to be a teacher however. Two different jobs. Two different skill-sets.