1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh dear! First taste of supply a failure

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by guinnesspuss, May 16, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Have done a half day supply today and it was sooooo hard. After being in the same school for twenty blblble years, where I had status and knowledge, to be going into the unknown again has been a nightmare. The boys in particular were dreadful. I'm going to have to grow a new skin, or I should say shell.
    I was shown to a class, told, 'do what you want.' No resources, no paper, no idea where the photocopier, staffroom, loo were, no clue to which topics or lessons I should do, no support. Difficult class..... 'lively' ...... Even the class teacher had sent one out for the afternoon because of their behaviour in the morning. Apparantly the school's having problems with behaviour in KS2.
    I will definitely be more ready with the questions next time. I wasn't ready to be pitched in at the deep end today. And boy was it a deep end.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

***. That's not on. There should have been work prepared, especially if there were known behaviour issues. Don't judge your potential on that nonsense - we've all been there. It's what Trekkies would call a 'Kobiyashi Maru' scenario. If you're not familiar with the scene from 'Star Trek II', take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzNlprDMiY

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Cheers [​IMG] It was a shell-shocker.
    & Yes I am a trekkie though not a card carrying one.

4. bulegila

bulegila New commenter

I'd cross that school off your supply list. You don't get paid enough to put up with that.