1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oh dear, depression setting in!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by guinnesspuss, Mar 8, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I am not yet on the supply lists. I jumped ship last week before they made me walk the plank. I looked on here to see what I was in for and am now thoroughly disheartened. I was thinking if supply didn't work out I could go for TA but that seems to be hopeless too.
    All the other fifty somethings that are on the union caseloads will be joining you soon too.
    Oh well

2. guinnesspuss

I am not yet on the supply lists. I jumped ship last week before they made me walk the plank. I looked on here to see what I was in for and am now thoroughly disheartened. I was thinking if supply didn't work out I could go for TA but that seems to be hopeless too.
    All the other fifty somethings that are on the union caseloads will be joining you soon too.
    Oh well

3. QFE

QFE New commenter

GP, you have my sympathy but not much else. I'm afraid... sounds like a similar position to myself. Three days supply in five months...
    Still, I can't say I miss the fulltime BS and my mental/physical health is much improved... every cloud etc.
    Keep plodding on and try and take some comfort from the fact that you are not the only one in your position and I'm sure there are a few on here in a far worse position!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

gp, it will depend very much on where you are and how you're prepared to go about it. As I've mentioned in another thread in the Supply forum my own approach this time last year was to try and get my foot in the door of as many schools as possible to get known. It meant turning down the occasional long term job, and working at Cover Supervisor rates on a few days, but for now it seems to have paid off. If you're wanting to do supply from now until retirement you need to get noticed in a range of schools to improve your chances of steady work. If Supply's just a stop gap between last your job and your next job then you may choose to jump on the first long term post available. It's a short term sacrifice versus long term gain calculation. I could have earned more last year but I wouldn't have had as many schools prepared to hire me as I have now.

5. guinnesspuss

Thanks you two. I don't think I'll be in line for any other permanent jobs, but never say never hey. I must say that after only a few days away from the IWB face[​IMG] I already feel more human. I know I'm not alone and that makes it more bearable.