1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OFSTED's overhaul of inspections?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by OneLooseCrank, Jan 16, 2019.

1. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

So, what do people think of OFSTED's current plans?
    I'm inclined to think this is just a rose (or a butt dipped in tuna) by any other name. Outcomes is still surely assessed by their terminal grade. Saying that grades are not as important as 'outcomes' is surely a conflicting statement.
    And the reduction of a student's timetable so that they are able to achieve some target grades as opposed to failing all of their subjects is a form of support for students? We do this and it is not a punishment - it is to help students who are struggling. We actually have to put in costly mentoring and supervision over and above their timetabled lessons when they have dropped courses and we wouldn't do so if this wasn't to the benefit of the student.
    Also, unless the government drop league tables, aren't schools now trying to appease two contradictory positions (if indeed grades matter less than... something else that I don't think is very clear) - how can we say it's ok for students grades to decline so long as 'outcomes' are improved but still rate schools by student attainment? And if job prospects are based on grades attained in schools, isn't pushing students towards the best grades possible giving them a widr range of future opportunities and erm... outcomes?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

3. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Having taught for my whole career in a 'secondary modern'* we were always, imo, unduly penalised by the very heavy emphasis that was put on examination grades. Every report we have had has made a comparison of our results to the national average, and guess what...we were below it. What has been surprising is how the inspectors didn't give any weight to the 'fact' that our intake was somewhat lower than the national average. (Even 60-75% of our local grammar school's intake is made up from pupils who failed the 11 plus*)

*Note I've used some ancient terminology as I think it makes it clearer for older readers.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

This bit froim the draft framework might be reassuring:

Impact
    Learners develop detailed knowledge and skills across the curriculum and, as a result, achieve well. Where relevant, this is reflected in results from national tests and examinations which meet government expectations, or in the qualifications obtained
    Learners are ready for the next stage of education, employment or training.Where relevant, they gain qualifications that allow them to go on to destinations that meet their interests, aspirations and the intention of their course of study. They read widely and often, with fluency and comprehension.

And from the draft handbook:

National assessments and examinations are useful indicators of the outcomes pupils achieve, but they only represent a sample of what pupilshave learned. Inspectors will balance these with their assessment of the standard of pupils’ workfrom the first-hand evidence they gather on inspection.

It's worth reading the documents as a whole rather than relying on the journalists.