1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted's British Values

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by danpardoe, Jun 29, 2016.

1. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

Hello all,

No doubt you're all aware of Ofsted's British Values requirement.

I have no problem with the actual values themselves but I'm struggling a little with the branding of them as "British Values". Am I being pedantic or is it a bit over the top, in line of recent events, to think that these could be misinterpreted? Have "British Values" been devalued and taken away by the media and particular political groups?

Am I just overthinking it?!

Danny

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

according to my local ofsted inspector, Ofsted are looking for British values taught in an embedded style rather than explicitly. if you can keep up with it all, many congratulations.

3. SteveKindle

SteveKindle Occasional commenter

Good question.

As it is, I think 'british values' are in the eye of the beholder.

We should be teaching about western liberal democracy - I'm amazed how many adults, let alone children, have a grasp of what this means.

4. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

Soooooo, taught but not taught?!

I can't accept your congratulations just yet.

5. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

Agreed with the eye of the beholder comment, Britain is so varied it is hard to say exactly what British values are.

I'm all up for teaching liberal democracy but does labeling it western still cause an issue?

6. SteveKindle

SteveKindle Occasional commenter

I think that's just a case of where it was invented.

Does it cause problems?

Dunno.

7. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

I guess so. It has caused a few issues here or there, nothing that can't be handled though. Who knows ay.