1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ofsted’s Amanda Spielman’s Announcemet today about inspections

Discussion in 'News' started by crumbleskates, Apr 28, 2020.

1. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

Has anyone seen the comments from AS about probably holding ofsted off for the rest of the year? What about next year?
    When we are still battling through social distancing, part time children, staff who are vulnerable working from home, children and staff bereaved and traumatised. How exactly will inspection help this?

AS says that as there are no exams it’s even more reason to need Ofsted. There’s professional trust for you.

She recognises pupil mental health in one breath but doesn’t seem to recognise we will need to completely adapt dismantle parts of the curriculum, and teaching style, to meet both children’s needs and the SD requirements.

Staff need to be able to focus on the day to day logistics whilst being scared and stressed, not whether their SOW is progressive and assessed thoroughly.

What are we going to do about this collectively? Unions are currently consulting- this is something we can all add as unacceptable and out of touch with reality.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  2. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I understand inspectors are paid on an inspection by inspection basis. If my memory is right some will be out of pocket. To be honest Ofsted in Its present framework form needs to go, never to return in my opinion. They need to leave schools alone for at least 2 years to recover from this. They won’t as they want to be paid.

I also noticed her so called “generosity” in offering not to judge schools handling of the crisis. Sounds right in a way but when you think about it, it will be situations like this that reveal the true strength of schools. How staff have worked for their students, how vulnerable children and families have been supported, how schools adapted at short notice etc will tell you much more about a school than any of their “deep dives”!

Idiomas11 likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How about a petition to get rid of all inspections? People are now more supportive of keyworkers and might want to show their gratitude. Teachers have died. Any of us could in the future. Stressed people are surely more likely to die? It's the least they could do for us.

agathamorse and Ro13 like this.